Who elected this clown ?

Shake me up Judy

7 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

The two are very much directly linked. Allowing our airspace to be used to train Saudi pilots is no better or worse than our taxes being used to bomb Syrian targets, without any possibility of democratic intervention at all. Both are wrong, both are undemocratic and both would be stopped if our senior politicians could only grow a pair.

Whilst I respect your you are entitled to your views and opinions, which in this case I disagree with, perhaps the usual suspects will go out and picket the engineering firms on the island? For example, Martin Bakers which make Ejector seats for BAE etc. The other engineering aerospace clusters which make parts for British/Worldwide military aircraft and civilian aircraft. Yes misery is being caused, but all those workers in Manx Factories could be complicit? Just a thought. 

Another thought is with the Russia situation regarding Ukraine, we all know lots of Russian business is done through the island. Some business will be banned due to sanctions but overall many planes and ships are registered here. These may be owned by objectionable people with dubious character. Do we adopt moral tones? Perhaps the CSPs which service these areas should close and get rid of staff? Just another thought. 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Yes I quite agree, and given similar circumstances I have no doubt a similar united effort would be adopted.

Paying the UK for defence though is a nonsense. We're no more likely to be the primary target for an aggressor than we were for Hitler in the dark days you talk about. I have no problem with us standing up and being counted when the collective need arises, but the fact remains we haven't needed the UK's defence in their history and much of our contribution is used furthering their dubious foreign policy which consistently results in many, often civilian, lives being lost and if anything makes us more of a target for attack than if we distanced ourselves from it for free.

You seem to misunderstand the contribution we make. Its not for the defence of our shores. It a contribution towards the defence of the wider British Isles.

If you consider WW2. It would not have been much fun for us if we had lost the Battle of Britain. Lets say that hypothetically Hitler had decided to bypass the IOM as the Wehrmacht moved onto Ireland (which of course is highly unlikely). What fun would that have been for us stuck isolated in the middle of the Irish Sea.  

You are of course correct, it is unlikely any foe would attack the IOM just because we didn't have the defence of the UK. 

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Whilst I respect your you are entitled to your views and opinions, which in this case I disagree with, perhaps the usual suspects will go out and picket the engineering firms on the island? For example, Martin Bakers which make Ejector seats for BAE etc. The other engineering aerospace clusters which make parts for British/Worldwide military aircraft and civilian aircraft. Yes misery is being caused, but all those workers in Manx Factories could be complicit? Just a thought. 

Another thought is with the Russia situation regarding Ukraine, we all know lots of Russian business is done through the island. Some business will be banned due to sanctions but overall many planes and ships are registered here. These may be owned by objectionable people with dubious character. Do we adopt moral tones? Perhaps the CSPs which service these areas should close and get rid of staff? Just another thought. 

Yes, I'm all in favour of cleaning up our economy and have said as much before.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

If you consider WW2. It would not have been much fun for us if we had lost the Battle of Britain. Lets say that hypothetically Hitler had decided to bypass the IOM as the Wehrmacht moved onto Ireland (which of course is highly unlikely). What fun would that have been for us stuck isolated in the middle of the Irish Sea.  

Made in 2015 and still accurate! 

Edited by The Phantom
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

36 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

If everything was squeaky-clean, which part of the economy would be left?

There are still sectors of our economy that make an honest living without doing anyone any harm.

You've got to wonder the true value of having the economy we do at all costs.

More and more people are being forced to use the food bank, our young people can't afford to live here, yet the government are actively encouraging more people to move here.

I think perhaps our economy would be better if it focussed on the needs of everyone, rather than just a privileged few. Having a strong economy is all well and good, but if people are struggling to afford to live here and low income families income is going up less than the rate of inflation what's the point?

The  morally dubious part of our economy are doubtless very lucrative to some, but that doesn't mean they benefit the whole island.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I think perhaps our economy would be better if it focussed on the needs of everyone, rather than just a privileged few. Having a strong economy is all well and good, but if people are struggling to afford to live here and low income families income is going up less than the rate of inflation what's the point?

But money talks and because of that nothing will change, ever. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Like North Korea?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Yes, I'm all in favour of cleaning up our economy and have said as much before.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

I respect your view, whilst disagreeing. Unfortunately it’s a very difficult area, and if not handled properly (cackhanded and knee jerk reactions), could lead to possible job losses or loss of income to the Island. 

• Like 1