Max Power

You'd think someone somewhere along the line from the publican to the coppers to the prosecutor to the magistrate would have a scrap of common sense wouldn't you?

I wonder how much this debacle has cost the taxpayer? Bound over to keep the peace FFS. If I was a doctor trying to save a close relatives life and someone tried to stop me, I think swearing would be the very best they could hope for. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

How were they even bound over to keep the peace? What peace? The man was having a seizure. They tend to be not very peaceful when they happen.

You wouldn’t perform CPR on someone having a seizure. You generally put them in recovery position.

Something doesn’t add up. It seems to be their language and behaviour after CPR stopped, that caused the charges. Accepting a Binding Over, is civil, not criminal, and  gets rid of the criminal charges.

We haven’t heard the story in full. The binding over was a deal cut between prosecution and defence. Nothing to do with the magistrates.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

The person who administered the CPR was a Doctor. Presumably he knew what he was doing more than a pub bouncer? 

Maybe he wasn't a doctor in medicine so wouldn't know what to do for someone having a seizure? Playing devil's advocate 🙂

2 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

It’s a relatively bizarre report though. You do wonder how it ever got to court. The judge presumably knew the facts when he threw the main case out? 

No, the magistrates, 3 of them, wouldn’t know the facts. This was a deal between prosecution and defence. Defendants accept a binding over, prosecution withdraw the charges.

Magistrates rubber stamp withdrawal.

You never CPR or resuscitate someone having a seizure. The doorman, who will have had CPR and basic first aid, including dealing with seizures, as part of his DHA certification/registration process, was right. 

The two defendants then reacted badly on licensed premises.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I have. If the prosecution withdrew charges how did it ever end up in court? 

I wasn’t there. There may be all sorts of reasons.

Seems as if they were properly charged. Perhaps they were intent on defending, or refused a caution, but when it got to the court, ready for plea ( not trial ), the two lawyers got together and agreed the civil disposal. 

Win for both sides. That’s quite common.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

So basically you do wonder how the AGs offices ever signed this off for trial.

it does  bring into question  the qualifications   of the security staff  and their ability  to deal with something like a cardiac arrest or seizure ,  and its  a surprise that the case was brought by the AG's office ,  perhaps  the radio or newspapers will conduct a more thorough  investigation into the case and provide an update based on the evidence given in court ,

• Like 1

Just now, Omobono said:

it does  bring into question  the qualifications   of the security staff  and their ability  to deal with something like a cardiac arrest or seizure ,  and its  a surprise that the case was brought by the AG's office ,  perhaps  the radio or newspapers will conduct a more thorough  investigation into the case and provide an update based on the evidence given in court ,

No evidence was given in court. There’s nothing to investigate. It got to the doors of the court and the advocates for prosecution and defence cut a deal.

Publicans and door staff get first aid and CPR training. As I say, you do not attempt CPR on someone having a seizure.