Eb Christian Site?

Amadeus

I got a letter from David Cretney, MHK, yesterday, adressed to my house (not myself), going along the lines of:

Dear Resident,

Heritage Homes has come up with a new proposal for the EB Christian site and wants the opinion of residents of the area before submitting it to the planning committee.

EB Christian site? Is that the old, yellow garage on Bridge Road? No idea to be honest... It also says in that letter, that a previous application was turned down and an informal meeting is being planed to present the new plans.

Could anyone enlighten me what these previous plans were and why they got turned down? I'm only on this address for about 1,5 years now and have no idea what's that all about.. More nice flats in front of my window? New Airport? Me wonders... :unsure:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you will find that David Cretney is only carrying out his duties as an elected representative and keeping the people informed of what is going on. Amadeus the site in question is the two storey building on the bridge (now a sales office/showroom for Heritage Homes). The original plan was for appartments which were approved by an independant planning inspector at appeal but turned down by the Minister Mr Rimmington. I personally believe that this will provide a massive benefit to the area and enhance the appearance of that end of the Quay.

I think you will find that David Cretney is only carrying out his duties as an elected representative and keeping the people informed of what is going on. Amadeus the site in question is the two storey building on the bridge (now a sales office/showroom for Heritage Homes). The original plan was for appartments which were approved by an independant planning inspector at appeal but turned down by the Minister Mr Rimmington. I personally believe that this will provide a massive benefit to the area and enhance the appearance of that end of the Quay.

Thanks for that, BOM! I really thought it was about the old garage next door - apparently, there are some things in the pipeline for that as well - or so I was told by the mechanic that used to be in there for a while...

So, North Quay is gonna be re-developed, a new hotel near the harbour, and now we even get a new development here - it's gonna be the new posh part of Douglas, innit? :)

They didnt redo the road there for nowt, all that area is going to be flats the DSS and the corpy yard all getting built on, Hertiage are going more into apartments because they are cheaper to build and easier to sell.

I would rather see apartments there than what is there now, i do think that Developers should look at sites like this instead of building on fields, there is plenty of run down places that would do well being knocked down and rebuilt just look at ramsey harbour that need something done to it what a mess.

The site would be an ideal location for a new night club/entertainment complex, this would also free up the Venue site that was turned down for appartments. Keeping the quay area for entertainment, drinking and eating would be great, no need for taxis to go from pub to pub and it may well bring in one of the big UK pub chains to give H&B some competition

Wouldn't this be a better proposed site for what they are wanting to put on the summerland plot? Maybe the government should do a swap!

Just think how many storeys of apartments Heritage homes could put there before they reach the limit of the cliff height. My guess would be eight storeys and how wide is anyones guess.

And the lovely view each apartment would have, and maybe the stench will be gone by then too.

Wouldn't this be a better proposed site for what they are wanting to put on the summerland plot? Maybe the government should do a swap!

Just think how many storeys of apartments Heritage homes could put there before they reach the limit of the cliff height. My guess would be eight storeys and how wide is anyones guess.

And the lovely view each apartment would have, and maybe the stench will be gone by then too.

And the top floor flat would look straight in Dan Tynans Garden

A bit off topic, but

Heritage Homes were pictured in the Courier tonight (p3) giving a very nice donation to the Castletown Festival Committee. Which I thought was a pleasant gesture.

Although I'm sure there is many a field and building in Castletown that could do with the Dandara treatment.

Nevermind Summerland, Donations and all that - I'm living in the new "in" part of Douglas now! The posh suburban area, the place to be seen, right next to all the (future) action!

You may call it the new "Manhattan of Douglas", the "Nottinghill of the Isle of Man" - oh, and you may call me "Sir Amadeus" in future (only adjusting to the new neighbourhood here :) )

And best of all: We can finally fence of Onchan and call it "Chavtown" :rolleyes:

Archived