Eb Christian Site?

Amadeus

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What wrong with Onchan, I havn't seen any Chavs about.

Every so often I feel I have led a remarkably sheltered life ... what exactly is a Chav ?

The common Manx and Scouse word for chavs is scallies.

And yes Onchan, Pully and other parts of Douglas and Ramsay are very popular chav locations.

Where does the name come from btw? Was there a company called "EB Christian" before, or something?

I worked for that company in my teens - not at the Bridge garage but at the old Lucas Stores on the North Quay - a place that I'm sure many bikers will remember with some affection. Others may recall that vehicles seeking fuel drove into the building and onto a large turntable which, after they'd refuelled, was spun around to allow them to drive out again.

Another memory of that time was of a tractor salesman persuading me to play football for Malew - a certain Mr Donald Gelling!

• 1 year later...

see planning application in this week's Courier - 07/01222B - creation of temporary car park pending approval/commencement of phase 2 of residential development, vacant area over phase 1 basement car park, Former Garage and Sawmills Site Lake Road

Others may recall that vehicles seeking fuel drove into the building and onto a large turntable which, after they'd refuelled, was spun around to allow them to drive out again.

I remember that, Lonan.

I think there was a picture of that very garage in the examiner a month or so ago.

see planning application in this week's Courier - 07/01222B - creation of temporary car park pending approval/commencement of phase 2 of residential development, vacant area over phase 1 basement car park, Former Garage and Sawmills Site Lake Road

Erm..one look out of the window tells me that there already is a car park - charging three quid for a days' parking (and coincidentally undercutting near Shaws Brow car park with that)

c1ad0.jpg

Maybe they're planning on expanding the existing one to the other side?

c2qf6.jpg

Isn't it funny how Copycat remembers a post thread from September 2005, when he didn't register till December 2006 and yet constantly claims that he's never been MCB or anyone else?

Yep, E B Christian was the Ford motor dealership in Douglas before being bought out by Ocean Ford a few years ago. Ocean Ford traded from the bridge site for a short while before selling it to Dandara.

Not entirely true my friend, For the record EB's decided to cease trading to the disappointment of Ford UK as the EB Christian name was the oldest ford dealership in the UK , a rescue package was put together by Ford UK & 'Skipton Ford' were allowed to rent the garage property off the Christians for a period until another suitable site could be found,

this plan did not go to ahead due to land prices,budget and extravagant design plans i remember being told "it was to be a dealership like the island had never seen",i still giggle as i drive past the current Castletown site, to say that the owners of skipton ford where a bit full of them selves is an understatement but god loves a trier ;) .

Anyhow the lease came to an end and ocean ford had to move to a more affordable building. the bridge building was sold by the Christians to Dan Dare.

here endeth the lesson :)

Well that architectural masterpiece might be moving anyway and then Amadeus can look out on .... well we'll all see won't we.

Ah a Tesco moving thread. We haven't had one for ages. Where is it going this time?

*dashes off to start manx bread thread*

Well that architectural masterpiece might be moving anyway and then Amadeus can look out on .... well we'll all see won't we.

Ah a Tesco moving thread. We haven't had one for ages. Where is it going this time?

*dashes off to start manx bread thread*

Well in the fullness of time we'll see who is right won't we.

Archived