What's the biggest lie told by IoM Government?

Max Power

10 minutes ago, english zloty said:

Wealthy tourists at that. If they're spending £430 million between them. That's one hell of a lot of Manx Knobs.

Maybe this is what will attract them - a "Mediterranean" atmosphere in Castletown..

Screenshot_20220302-084051_Chrome.jpg

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, GD4ELI said:

46,000 will include people over to visit family, business etc. However they measure the number it'll not be tourists alone.

Do they still count travelling locals in the visitor numbers like they do for the TT?

34 minutes ago, finlo said:

Do they still count travelling locals in the visitor numbers like they do for the TT?

Most definitely …………… bums on seats and all that. Every number counts when a statistic needs to be massaged, don’t worry this island will soon hit 500k.

3 hours ago, finlo said:

I’m sure they even include CS and their consultants travelling backwards and forwards to and from conferences about how to build ‘ambitious’ plans

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Maybe this is what will attract them - a "Mediterranean" atmosphere in Castletown..

Screenshot_20220302-084051_Chrome.jpg

And they can admire the fields of mews housing and a cannabis farm as they’re ferried past on a state of the art diesel (or steam) train (I’ll assume both are exempted from carbon neutrality)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

46,000 will include people over to visit family, business etc. However they measure the number it'll not be tourists alone.

No they changed it to everyone they could possibly count a long while ago - though not returning locals, even they realised it would be a bit too obvious.  The trouble is that business travel is in long-term decline (even before the Covid change in working patterns) and the number of people visiting relatives/friends isn't going to change much, such people visit for their own reasons.  So if you want to increase visitor numbers, you have to increase the number of tourists.

I crunched to numbers a few months ago and I reckon it means they would have to roughly treble the number of tourists outside TT.  It's fantasy stuff, but I suppose it's easier to dream up magical plans than work to improve the numbers actually visiting.  It does show how amateurish these people are though that they can't even come up with targets that even look plausible.  But in the Isle of Man Government, failure is the most reliable way of succeeding.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, english zloty said:

I’m sure they even include CS and their consultants travelling backwards and forwards to and from conferences about how to build ‘ambitious’ plans

And patient transfers....and pets....and beasts being exported for slaughter...all good headcount...

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

Nah, that was Laxey!😄

that electricity prices are not going up in the next few days ! Rob the peoples prince is working on  his hand wringing statement as we speak , just watch this pace waiting for a bad news day !