Old Nurse's Home

AlsoBatman

1 hour ago, english zloty said:

Will be interesting to see how the planners go for no parking given another brownfield development has struggled to fit a car lift and basement parking in its private development. 

It’s being designed for minimal car use with bus stop outside, centre of town etc. think there’s special planning considerations for these brownfield sites to fast track past all the red tape 

15 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

The developer at the Duke Street site got away with playing the environmental card. In that government was encouraging people who lived in town to not own a car and walk and cycle everywhere (which is bollocks) so they didn’t need to provide as many parking spaces as required. They bought it then. 

Sorry, not sure that's true. I'm sure I read that it now has a complicated car lift into an underground car park and that was a condition of the revised planning application.

Good on MDC if they do get planning, as long as everyone else does too.

29 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

I hear what you are saying John but there should be a minimum requirement for all properties to be two bed

I'm single and whilst it's nice renting a 2½ bedroom house I'd rather buy a single bed affordable modern flat.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

The developer at the Duke Street site got away with playing the environmental card. In that government was encouraging people who lived in town to not own a car and walk and cycle everywhere (which is bollocks) so they didn’t need to provide as many parking spaces as required. They bought it then. 

In the latest plans for the Duke Street Site, all the underground parking has gone and has been replaced by Storage rooms, so it looks like it now has zero parking. The company building it has apparently run out of money, so it might just be a just a frame for a while.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Katman said:

In the latest plans for the Duke Street Site, all the underground parking has gone and has been replaced by Storage rooms, so it looks like it now has zero parking. The company building it has apparently run out of money, so it might just be a just a frame for a while.

except workmen have started back on site this week

17 hours ago, Passing Time said:

Never understood why one bed-roomed accommodation is still being created. Even if you live alone, you may have a family member stop over.

Essential. In many cases many elderly and empty nesters live in 2-3+ homes, especially in social housing. With good planning and decent incentives then transferring and downsizing, it could free up larger housing stock. I also think in some cases a 1 bed hone is easier to maintain and heat.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

Should be handed over to an independent housing association, both to manage & to reinvest rental income in property maintenance & new acquisition/development

All social housing on the island - Corpy and DOI - should be transferred. It will be less of a drain on the ratepayers and taxpayers, and HA can independently obtain loans from institutional investors, and the banking sectors. 

18 hours ago, Banker said:

It is good news & the comments about brown envelopes is uncalled for .

Your right but I’m afraid bribery and corruption are endemic in society, and the IOM isn’t excluded. Undue Influence can also be applied to help gain the maximum results. The reason the Old Nursing Home is being redeveloped is there were no takers for the building, and the fact IOMG wanted mega money for the site. 

It would be good if the MDC took a leaf out of the JDC book, and got contractors over from the UK or further afield rather than the usual island based contractors developers. JDC are using French Contractors. It’s rather unhealthy using the same developers and contractors, and using off island may stimulate better practices.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Your right but I’m afraid bribery and corruption are endemic in society, and the IOM isn’t excluded. Undue Influence can also be applied to help gain the maximum results. The reason the Old Nursing Home is being redeveloped is there were no takers for the building, and the fact IOMG wanted mega money for the site. 

I agree, although I don't think there's too many brown envelopes, more a chumocracy, and nothing to do with the Masons. It's amazing what our lycra clad, over promoted incompetents can get up to when they should be being supervised! 

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Essential. In many cases many elderly and empty nesters live in 2-3+ homes, especially in social housing. With good planning and decent incentives then transferring and downsizing, it could free up larger housing stock. I also think in some cases a 1 bed hone is easier to maintain and heat.

I wouldn't have thought it would that much more to maintain a 2 bed apartment. This is one of those discussions where nobody is in fact wrong, it's a personal opinion