Old Nurse's Home

AlsoBatman

4 hours ago, 2112 said:

Your right but I’m afraid bribery and corruption are endemic in society, and the IOM isn’t excluded. Undue Influence can also be applied to help gain the maximum results. The reason the Old Nursing Home is being redeveloped is there were no takers for the building, and the fact IOMG wanted mega money for the site. 

It would be good if the MDC took a leaf out of the JDC book, and got contractors over from the UK or further afield rather than the usual island based contractors developers. JDC are using French Contractors. It’s rather unhealthy using the same developers and contractors, and using off island may stimulate better practices.

The issue with off island contractors will be getting the workforce over here, housing them, probably paying flights home at weekends, plus getting all the equipment over at great expense 

1 hour ago, Banker said:

The issue with off island contractors will be getting the workforce over here, housing them, probably paying flights home at weekends, plus getting all the equipment over at great expense 

Then we allow the same contractors to have carte blanche. Introducing new contractors may ruffle feathers and promote change. 

3 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Then we allow the same contractors to have carte blanche. Introducing new contractors may ruffle feathers and promote change. 

I don’t disagree but I doubt Balfour Beatty or the like will be interested in bringing a large workforce over for a £2/3m contract it’s just not viable 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Banker said:

I don’t disagree but I doubt Balfour Beatty or the like will be interested in bringing a large workforce over for a £2/3m contract it’s just not viable 

It will be interesting to see how much is being budgeted for redevelopment. The building is in a mess, and to bring it up to a standard, not a government made up standard to suit their agenda. Also if it’s aimed at key workers and returning graduates, are the government subsidising the rents? Renovating a building costs money, especially with the cost of raw materials, and another consideration is the building will no doubt have political interference by the likes of Daffy, and the green lobby. How are the units to be heated? The coffee shop - Costa?

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Haha if our lot have anything to do with it it will likely be 80 million  Plus extras . 😡

Edited by Numbnuts

4 hours ago, Banker said:

£2/3m 😂 are you a former MHK lol. In the real world more like £5m. Off island contractors could be tempted if the have visibility of the wider potential package of work and I'm sure MDC are working on that now. One challenge is off Island folk don't know the local subby market, so price themselves out (unless, as has happened, certain 'information' is shared that the locals aren't privy to). Without that commercial advantage prelim costs blows them out of the water.

2 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

What nonsense

Definitely not nonsense. I’m predicting political interference especially by the likes of Daffy, and the MLP. They will be making a myriad of demands from what heating is installed to the colour of the walls. It’s ironic really as by the time tenants move in, they won’t be able to heat their homes. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Definitely not nonsense. I’m predicting political interference especially by the likes of Daffy, and the MLP. They will be making a myriad of demands from what heating is installed to the colour of the walls. It’s ironic really as by the time tenants move in, they won’t be able to heat their homes. 

Is it too far from Tynwald to duct all that excess hot air?

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, 2112 said:

This will have nothing to do with the Climate Board

I have to say though that the pic put forward by the corporatist 'Manx Development Corporation' does not look much like sustainable deep retrofit to me

The completely out of scale glass carbuncle on the old roof looks particularly hideous

1070883-1.jpg

• Like 1

It's a great idea but will depend on the developer partner to finalise the design.

That partner may also want to control the sale of the units and that could mean off plan, buy to let and that, as a Govt led scheme, should not be allowed to happen. Then they may have a problem getting a partner?

42 minutes ago, Kopek said:

It's a great idea but will depend on the developer partner to finalise the design.

That partner may also want to control the sale of the units and that could mean off plan, buy to let and that, as a Govt led scheme, should not be allowed to happen. Then they may have a problem getting a partner?

It’s rental via the MDC only. Specifically aimed at ‘key workers’ and ‘returning graduates’. 

I would imagine for the figures to add up the rents will be high, unless the taxpayers is subsidising locate.im. If we are subsidising this venture to make it pay, perhaps it would have been better renovating the building for social housing? Money could have been saved.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Two-lane said:

I wonder what the view will be like, from the inside looking out. Brings to mind the Fawlty Towers sea view episode.

Believe me looking down on Douglas from above is one of the most depressing experiences you can have!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1