Old Nurse's Home

AlsoBatman

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

It's a great idea but will depend on the developer partner to finalise the design.

That partner may also want to control the sale of the units and that could mean off plan, buy to let and that, as a Govt led scheme, should not be allowed to happen. Then they may have a problem getting a partner?

Other than those to be developed as schools, all government brownfield sites should be handed over to an independent housing association & funded for social housing for both rent & long leasehold

• Like 3

11 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

Other than those to be developed as schools, all government brownfield sites should be handed over to an independent housing association & funded for social housing for both rent & long leasehold

I understand the longer term options for the various sites are being considered, in Jersey for example all the various state properties are held in an arms length company.

Chris Thomas has already said that Jane crookall & desmesne road school sites are also being looked at for development 

Think it looks excellent. Concept is good. Anything to promote active travel and the health benefits is much preferred than more cars on the road. Otherwise you’ll see people driving to work from Westmoreland road to park at Shaws Brow. 
and also because it pisses the backward, 1970’s thinking of the Petrol brigade.

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Chris Thomas has already said that Jane crookall & desmesne road school sites are also being looked at for development 

Is the Finch Rd tennis/bowling site still in danger of being incorporated into those sites?

There was a time they were under threat.

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

Is the Finch Rd tennis/bowling site still in danger of being incorporated into those sites?

There was a time they were under threat.

That's been protected as a green and leisure space now. The old Crosbie Cain and Kennish building, 1st Douglas Scout Hall, James Caine's, Demesne Road School, Jane Crookall and I think the houses in Westmoreland Rd which were once doctor's residences are under threat. The old hospice and doctors surgery were also a possibility but I think they may have been saved by the agreement with Finch Hill?   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Max Power said:

That's been protected as a green and leisure space now. The old Crosbie Cain and Kennish building, 1st Douglas Scout Hall, James Caine's, Demesne Road School, Jane Crookall and I think the houses in Westmoreland Rd which were once doctor's residences are under threat. The old hospice and doctors surgery were also a possibility but I think they may have been saved by the agreement with Finch Hill?   

I think developing the properties you mention would be a great solution for more housing so wouldn’t class them as under threat as if it’s a bad thing 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Banker said:

I think developing the properties you mention would be a great solution for more housing so wouldn’t class them as under threat as if it’s a bad thing 

Yes agreed, wrong turn of phrase but true nonetheless. Most could easily be relocated, pity about the Scout hall though, it's used seven days a week.  

I wouldn't necessarily object to the Tennis being developed if it made a more meaningful site. Especially for low rise rather than apartments?

Relocating the tennis, bowling and Scout hall in the area may be a problem, thought they are not 'Local Amenities' any more?

There is that open space off Brunswick which could make a more leisure area for everyone but I think that is privately owned.

Redevelopment costs could be beyond the Tennis Club? Not long had a lease renewal from the DCorp I think.

I realise this may be upsetting for quite a few People!!!

3 hours ago, Kopek said:

I wouldn't necessarily object to the Tennis being developed if it made a more meaningful site. Especially for low rise rather than apartments?

Relocating the tennis, bowling and Scout hall in the area may be a problem, thought they are not 'Local Amenities' any more?

There is that open space off Brunswick which could make a more leisure area for everyone but I think that is privately owned.

Redevelopment costs could be beyond the Tennis Club? Not long had a lease renewal from the DCorp I think.

I realise this may be upsetting for quite a few People!!!

It was Chris Thomas that desperately wanted the bowling club and tennis court included in the plan, and therefore allowed to be redeveloped. He was defeated at the public inquiry, and I’d imagine a real shitstorm would happen in these facilities are taken and the area redeveloped. 

The Scouts Hall could be redeveloped and I’m sure IOMG would find somewhere in Central Douglas. Why not use HBN School? It’s big enough and besides it’s taxpayer funded. I’m sure the businesses and property owners nearby would sell to IOMG. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Incidentally HBN has leisure facilities incorporated into its building, a school gymnasium to allow sports (including basketball and badminton). Or perhaps Ballakermeen HS can be used for the Scouts.

Scouts swear allegiance to a foreign monarch - should they be in public buildings?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, manxman34 said:

Scouts swear allegiance to a foreign monarch - should they be in public buildings?

Eventually either IOMG/MDC will want the buildings in the area for redevelopment. Unless the Old Nurses Home is going to drag on, lots of talk but little action? I would hope that if it takes up to 18 months, then plans are afoot for proper redevelopment of the area up to and including fmr Ballacloan School. Let’s hope that these plans are published soon. 

By using public owned buildings, it is ensuring the community is getting use of the school buildings.