Sex education and religion

Itsmeee

10 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Because people like to have something to be angry about. 

I am indeed suggesting it isn’t true. 

I would imagine that there is a kernel of truth in there somewhere - maybe one or two instances where a teacher has gone into more detail than perhaps was appropriate, possibly prompted by questions. But then this has been seized upon as an opportunity, and blown out of proportion - Eliza Cox seems to have pored through that PSHE document and picked out whatever she thinks is most shocking, regardless of whether it’s being taught or not. I highly doubt teachers are being asked to “teach children how to masturbate”. I can imagine it being covered as a topic - to reassure kids who may already doing it that it’s normal, they aren’t perverts - but i doubt they are bing given lessons in how to do it. Mary Whitehouse is reborn!

• Like 1

Fear not Moorhouse is on the case:

5. The Hon. Member for Arbory, Castletown and Malew, Mr Moorhouse, to ask the Minister for Education, Sport and Culture –

For how long the delivery of relationships and sex education in her Department’s schools will be paused; who has been tasked with establishing facts about recent concerns; what will be delivered in its place during the pause; and what mechanisms are in place to assess the content of lessons in personal, social and health education, and in life skills.

(It's actually quite a sensible question and should give DESC an opportunity to say what is actually going on).

Edited by Roger Mexico
Formatting
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, StrangeBrew said:

Eliza Cox seems to have pored through that PSHE document and picked out whatever she thinks is most shocking

That’s exactly it.

A teacher having the resources to answer the question that many teenagers can find on Google on their smartphones (no filter is infallible) is just being prepared. 

As Helix posted earlier, the Y8 curriculum boils down to “babies come from sex, here’s how to use a condom properly” and “consent matters”. 

• Like 2

Largely staying clear of this conversation, as we don't know what's been going on, but nice of Edge to clear it up for us.

One of my youngest's teachers likes to go on about 'white privilege' (Go figure, if privilege  is about power structures, and she's a teacher...). The whole gender thing. Living Hope and it's offspring. Can we not just keep the idealogues away from our kids, full stop?

• Thanks 1

i remember my old music teacher at QE2 (up until 1994) - would get all the girls to take their ties off and unbutton their blouses saying "the room gets hot", then he would stand behind them massaging their shoulders whilst they used the keyboards.  I didn't think much of it until years later. I believe this carried on and was brushed under the carpet, and eventually he "left".  Creepy AF

Edited by somewhatdamaged