Sex education and religion

Itsmeee

3 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Many of us know what's been going on with the teaching of sex education in recent years and the shift to a woke and diverse agenda

What’s a woke and diverse agenda?

Letting kids know people might be gay and that’s okay?

Never mind that they teach consent.  How awful. 

Edited by AcousticallyChallenged
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Religion, any religion, should be kept out of schools. The should be no schools run by religious organisations.

Its for churches, temples, chapels, mosques, synagogues, mandirs, kovils, meeting houses, gurdwharas, viharas, pagodas, haidens, etc and their associated Friday/Saturday/Sunday, etc., schools to provide religious education outside normal full time school hours and curriculum. And they should be regulated and inspected.

Im all in favour of teaching about different cultures, religious identities, as well as sex, gender, health, home economics and finance management, and how to deal with official forms in mainstream education, as well as academic and practical subjects.

There are no schools on the IOM run by religious organisations. There would have been at one time but not now. However, religious groups do perform assemblies from time to time. As we're still to some degree a Christian culture, I have no problem with that and consider it part of a broad education.

Just now, Shake me up Judy said:

There are no schools on the IOM run by religious organisations. There would have been at one time but not now. However, religious groups do perform assemblies from time to time. As we're still to some degree a Christian culture, I have no problem with that and consider it part of a broad education.

St Mary’s Roman Catholic Primary School might have a smidge of religious influence. Can’t think what the giveaway there is.

Plus, a lot of Christian culture has stark overlaps with pagan festivals and ways. Christianity was just one way to keep the poor poor in the Middle Ages. Fear of the devil was a big moneymaker. 

29 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

St Thomas’s CofE Primary School “ where we put Jesus at the heart of the curriculum “ ( from their web site ) and St Mary’s Roman Catholic Primary School.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, John Wright said:

St Thomas’s CofE Primary School “ where we put Jesus at the heart of the curriculum “ ( from their web site ) and St Mary’s Roman Catholic Primary School.

Neither school has a catchment area - parents choose to send their children to them - and both accept children of any faith or none. Which part of parental choice do you object to, John?

Just now, Harry Lamb said:

Neither school has a catchment area - parents choose to send their children to them - and both accept children of any faith or none. Which part of parental choice do you object to, John?

"There are no schools on the IOM run by religious organisations."

Presumably your parents chose not to send you to any school.

• Haha 1

Just now, Harry Lamb said:

I'm sorry, I don't understand your point here?

You're suggesting that JW is against parental choice simply because he pointed out that the statement "There are no schools on the IOM run by religious organisations." was false.

1 minute ago, HeliX said:

You're suggesting that JW is against parental choice simply because he pointed out that the statement "There are no schools on the IOM run by religious organisations." was false.

I was referring to his previous post as well, where he made his views clear.

9 minutes ago, Harry Lamb said:

That’s a misrepresentation of what I’ve written. I’ve said religion should not play a part in primary or secondary education, which should be secular.

Thats does not remove parental choice to send their children to properly regulated and inspected Friday/Saturday/Sunday schools, etc, attached to faith organisations, with religious education delivered outside of school teaching hours.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, John Wright said:

They may have originally been church schools -  but they're certainly not now. All state schools in the IOM come under the Dept of Education. Not the Catholic Church or the Church of England. They all follow a national curriculum. The history of certain schools is honoured and reflected in assemblies but the teaching is secular.    

26 minutes ago, John Wright said:

That’s a misrepresentation of what I’ve written. I’ve said religion should not play a part in primary or secondary education, which should be secular.

Thats does not remove parental choice to send their children to properly regulated and inspected Friday/Saturday/Sunday schools, etc, attached to faith organisations, with religious education delivered outside of school teaching hours.

It is exactly what you wrote, and you have helpfully confirmed that in your view parents should be denied the choice to send their children to a faith school to be educated. The option to send children to religious instruction outside of regular education is irrelevant to this central point, despite your attempted obfuscation. To be clear: I am not arguing the merits or otherwise of faith schools, but I am asserting the right of parents to choose one if that is their wish, a right which you seek to deny.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

They may have originally been church schools -  but they're certainly not now. All state schools in the IOM come under the Dept of Education. Not the Catholic Church or the Church of England. They all follow a national curriculum. The history of certain schools is honoured and reflected in assemblies but the teaching is secular.    

From their website:

We are developing a St Mary's curriculum written for our school and centred around our Catholic Faith.

IOMG have put out a press release on Facebook, informing they have commissioned a report by external investigators into this fiasco, and it’s asking the public to refrain from commenting. It’s the answer to all IOMG problems to commission a report. How much will it cost taxpayers? Will it achieve much? Another fine mess. 

• Like 2