Sex education and religion

Itsmeee

6 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Another poor week of negative publicity.

It's surely good publicity, for an island so tarnished with backward thinking and a history of attracting backward idiots to move here.

Might actually get some nice people move here for a change, which would help out the healthcare and education sectors.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

Did indeed this actually happen?   It should not take long for an ex cop and a lawyer to get to the bottom of this fiasco meanwhile the reputation of the Isle of Man is slowly going down the pan.

But if it won't take long, then they won't be able to charge £63K as they did over the Ranson case (and that was without employing any lawyers).  Even with the best will in the world, if you employ (ex-)police and lawyers to do this sort of enquiry, you're not going to get a fast response because they tend to operate slowly and carefully.  And of course all the choice of such people is going to do is make it look as if some dreadful crime has been committed.  Probably any resulting report will be so vaguely worded (as lawyers tend to) that people will read anything they want into it.

The truth here is that Cannan and those surrounding him seem to have little idea on how to cope with a crisis except by giving money to their mates and hoping that they will somehow get them out of it.  But giving money to your mates and hoping seems to be pretty much the way they've been running the government, so we shouldn't be surprised.

Edited to add:  Apologies it was actually £68K

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Like 6

a parent of one of the kids in the class was on GB news last night, now if it was me I would be 100% sure of the facts before even posting on social media never mind going on a national news channel so he must be pretty confident of what he has been told is the truth

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

a parent of one of the kids in the class was on GB news last night, now if it was me I would be 100% sure of the facts before even posting on social media never mind going on a national news channel so he must be pretty confident of what he has been told is the truth

If it was me, I’d be the same. But some people might live the idea of being on the telly.  There are no circumstances in which I would be so desperate for my 15 seconds of fame that I would be willing to appear on GB ‘ News’, whether I had all the facts or a load of conflated BS.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

He was on MR this morning.  No great revelations other than he only became aware of the issue at the weekend and a lawyer and ex police would undertake the investigation, with an outcome hoped in 2 to 3 weeks. 

Well I hope at least the former police is aware of what is and what is not appropriate for an adult stranger to discuss with children, whether under the guise of 'sex education' or not.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Was he a parent or just the head of the petition-writers?

47 minutes ago, StrangeBrew said:

If it was me, I’d be the same. But some people might live the idea of being on the telly.  There are no circumstances in which I would be so desperate for my 15 seconds of fame that I would be willing to appear on GB ‘ News’, whether I had all the facts or a load of conflated BS.

Especially when you are basing your truth on what your child said happened at school.

What happened to the days when 'nothing' happened at school today.

• Haha 6
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Especially when you are basing your truth on what your child said happened at school.

What happened to the days when 'nothing' happened at school today.

Literally last night I had "Daaaaaddy, I has so much fun at school today"

"What did you do?"

"Nothing" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Interestingly, if you watch the video linked on GB News, which is as bland as you’d expect, the first thing that’s said is that it was the teacher that removed the child from the class.

Bit of a difference to the claims of the drag queen making them leave…

I think the part about a girl being taught about how to apply a condom was also slightly different from the original "documentary".

In the "documentary" I think they said she was put in with some boys who she did not like.

On GB News it was with a group of boys she did not know.

That may be an innocent mistake or it is another inconstant piece of hearsay.

• Like 1

On FB under a pseudonym someone has written , I think it was on IOM Today could have been the Manx Radio report, he alleges it is up to the individual teachers how they present their lessons and the drag Queen was brought in to chat about drag she was not instrumental in the actual sex talk,if this is true where does safe guarding start and end.   Let us hope the truth comes out and the sooner the better.

3 hours ago, HeliX said:

Was he a parent or just the head of the petition-writers?

Nigel Farage introduced the male interviewee as "You had a child that was put in front of this drag queen... " and the male interviewee didn't contradict that.  No mention of a petition.

3 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Interestingly, if you watch the video linked on GB News, which is as bland as you’d expect, the first thing that’s said is that it was the teacher that removed the child from the class.

Bit of a difference to the claims of the drag queen making them leave…

Yes.  The male interviewee said "... and then to be removed from the class by the teacher as being seen to be as offensive towards the drag queen... " 

So he still describes the person as a "drag queen" but does say it was actually the teacher who put the pupil out of the class.

He then goes on to say that the group of 10, 11 and 12 year olds had been put into three different groups.

One group went "to the drag queen"; a second group of one girl and five boys (who the girl didn't "really know") were shown how to put a condom on using a "sexual toy, so to speak"; and the third group were shown images on a teacher's 'phone of how a skin graft could be taken from a girl's arm to construct an artificial penis.

Assuming what he said is accurate (and I don't know if it is or isn't) I've no problem with demonstrating how a condom should be put on, but I'm not certain of the educational value to 10 - 12 year olds of going into the detail of constructing an artifical penis from a skin graft.  I certainly don't see any justification in showing "images" of this.

The male interviewee also nodded his head in apparent confirmation when NF stated that the drag queen had told the class that there were 73 genders.

So what's the truth?  Again, surely the school knows what did and did not happen?

(Couldn't the school have said straightaway that no child was put out of a lesson by a drag queen?  This parent said it was a teacher.  Hopeless)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

On FB under a pseudonym someone has written , I think it was on IOM Today could have been the Manx Radio report, he alleges it is up to the individual teachers how they present their lessons and the drag Queen was brought in to chat about drag she was not instrumental in the actual sex talk,if this is true where does safe guarding start and end.   Let us hope the truth comes out and the sooner the better.

I don't doubt for a minute what you say has been posted on FB, but it doesn't explain why, what is essentially a performance artist, should be invited into school to talk about their particular performance "art", never mind sex, gender or anything else.

Do they invite actors in to talk about acting, or bus drivers to talk about driving a bus?

Edited by Ghost Ship
  • Thanks 1