Sex education and religion

Itsmeee

13 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

Do they invite actors in to talk about acting, or bus drivers to talk about driving a bus?

Yes.  Although not admittedly actors or bus drivers, we definitely had 'career day' type events.  They were generally interesting jobs though, like pilots, army, archeologists etc. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

Assuming what he said is accurate (and I don't know if it is or isn't) I've no problem with demonstrating how a condom should be put on,

They’ve done that for years. You get a plastic phallus, that is in no way a sexual thing to put a condom onto.

Then, as many 11 year olds do, you put it over your head and inflate it with your nose for a giggle, or, you inflate it and launch it as a slow moving dirigible at other classroom members. 

It does seem really peculiar to me that a teacher would unprompted be showing phalloplasty techniques to any year group. 

27 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

Couldn't the school have said straightaway that no child was put out of a lesson by a drag queen?  This parent said it was a teacher.  Hopeless

I can understand why the school wouldn’t want to make an announcement about a particular child. There are privacy issues to address too. Even if the parents are vocal on Facebook. 

1 hour ago, Ghost Ship said:

I don't doubt for a minute what you say has been posted on FB, but it doesn't explain why, what is essentially a performance artist, should be invited into school to talk about their particular performance "art", never mind sex, gender or anything else.

Do they invite actors in to talk about acting, or bus drivers to talk about driving a bus?

When I was at school they often had theatre groups in to talk about, well, theatre, industry professionals to talk about whatever industry they were part of, and the army in to talk about how to sign up to murder foreign kids.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

It does seem really peculiar to me that a teacher would unprompted be showing phalloplasty techniques to any year group. 

It's plausible that a kid asked how it works and the teacher showed them some sort of explanation I suppose? Don't often see a teacher using their personal phones in class though.

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

It's plausible that a kid asked how it works and the teacher showed them some sort of explanation I suppose? Don't often see a teacher using their personal phones in class though.

Plausible, but stupid if that’s what it was. Kid gets home, “mum, guess what teacher showed me on their phone. It was disgusting…”

No matter how well intentioned this would be a bad idea, and I can’t believe a teacher would do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Plausible, but stupid if that’s what it was. Kid gets home, “mum, guess what teacher showed me on their phone. It was disgusting…”

No matter how well intentioned this would be a bad idea, and I can’t believe a teacher would do it.

It's more plausible than the implied story of a teacher showing off penoplasty for no reason...

2 hours ago, HeliX said:

When I was at school they often had theatre groups in to talk about, well, theatre, industry professionals to talk about whatever industry they were part of, and the army in to talk about how to sign up to murder foreign kids.

Talking shite there son

• Like 2