Sex education and religion

Itsmeee

29 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well that’s all well and good. No one would wish to inhibit a child’s development. And I don’t want to come across as a curmudgeon.

Yet here you are

But a lot of the time in the supermarket scenario it seems to be to attract attention- “look at me, what a cute baby I have got”

Not at all and for all the reasons already explained to you

Its annoying for the rest of us. Yes by all means do what you think is good for your baby’s development but you also have to take other people into consideration. That’s a good lesson for your child to learn.

Only annoying to farts like you

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

It’s deemed more proper and acceptable to read about if bonnets and beards are involved apparently. 

Are you describing Peel's sex education teacher? 

Ironically, Peel is actually Afrikaans slang for penis.  

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well that’s all well and good. No one would wish to inhibit a child’s development. And I don’t want to come across as a curmudgeon.

But a lot of the time in the supermarket scenario it seems to be to attract attention- “look at me, what a cute baby I have got”

Its annoying for the rest of us. Yes by all means do what you think is good for your baby’s development but you also have to take other people into consideration. That’s a good lesson for your child to learn.

If @The Voice of Reason were a Viz character…

34B9F8CE-7283-42D0-B41A-E9EE16523F90.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

We actually discussed this a year ago in an identically-named topic and it turned out that at the time the DESC were importing people from the Scripture Union Ministries Trust to provide a "facilitated sex and relationships course" in secondary schools.  There was a new Head appointed to QEII at the start of school year with UK experience (though she is Manx) and I wonder if she is trying to provide a curriculum more in line with what pupils get elsewhere.  If the evangelicals are being displaced or see a monopoly threated, they may be be creating this fuss to get their own back.  They seem to be copying 

This might also explain the silence and incompetence of DESC.  They could be annoyed that 'their' way of doing things has been changed (or if true believers, even supportive of the attacks) and are refusing to counter the nonsense or allow the school to do so as well.

5 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

One final point is that parents are also encouraged to talk to a baby in the womb now as well.  This is to help the baby start to recognise their parents voices and bond with them.

The baby hears the mother's voice all the time, how will they know when she is talking to them? 

My kids must have learnt how to ignore me when in the womb because they were highly adept at doing so after they were born! 😉

• Haha 4

Watched a Video on YouTube from the Meidastouch channel recently, and even if I don't agree with all their content, the commentary rang a lot of bells, with very similar talking points.

They were commenting on Ron DeSantis' attacks on school curriculums, and how the right in the USA is pushing an "anti-woke" agenda, despite not really being able to define what they meant by it. Their attacks are focused on banning books, banning the teaching of critical race theory (which isn't actually on the curriculum) and similar rumblings about gender politics.

The video made the point that the right-wing politicians were frequently grandstanding about imaginary and trumped-up non-issues that in practice had little relevance to the lives of the majority of the population, who were more affected by jobs, healthcare and their day-to day lives.

The risk in having elected representatives that are obsessed with "woke" is that they lose focus on exactly those things, when for the majority the major problems they're facing are not drag queens, but cost of living, house prices, jobs, utility prices, medical care and travel costs amongst others. Crusading against "woke" is a pointless distraction from the real issues for an elected representative.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

Watched a Video on YouTube from the Meidastouch channel recently, and even if I don't agree with all their content, the commentary rang a lot of bells, with very similar talking points.

They were commenting on Ron DeSantis' attacks on school curriculums, and how the right in the USA is pushing an "anti-woke" agenda, despite not really being able to define what they meant by it. Their attacks are focused on banning books, banning the teaching of critical race theory (which isn't actually on the curriculum) and similar rumblings about gender politics.

The video made the point that the right-wing politicians were frequently grandstanding about imaginary and trumped-up non-issues that in practice had little relevance to the lives of the majority of the population, who were more affected by jobs, healthcare and their day-to day lives.

I wonder if that’s what’s happening here. With the Govt’s stonewalling and silence leaving the story to be told by the Living Hope people to the right wing media. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

The risk in having elected representatives that are obsessed with "woke" is that they lose focus on exactly those things, when for the majority the major problems they're facing are not drag queens, but cost of living, house prices, jobs, utility prices, medical care and travel costs amongst others. Crusading against "woke" is a pointless distraction from the real issues for an elected representative.

While there is truth in what you say, Sarah Wagenknecht, a far left German leader, has accused her party of neglecting ordinary people for a metropolitan elite, and being too pre-occupied with "gender-conscious language and pricey organic products" rather then fighting low-pay. 

That rings a bell for me, while the Tories have never offered me anything, it doesn't feel that Labour are that much more relevant now.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Declan said:

I wonder if that’s what’s happening here. With the Govt’s stonewalling and silence leaving the story to be told by the Living Hope people to the right wing media. 

Tbh, I think they are just totally inept.

12 minutes ago, Declan said:

Are the complainers Living Hope?  There is certainly an element of the smug smiling "I know I am right because God told me so" in some of those videos. 

• Like 1