Sex education and religion

Itsmeee

12 minutes ago, Hoops said:

Tbh, I think they are just totally inept.

Agreed

The constant suggestions that IOM GOV/ CS are "doing things" behind the scene is just Bullshit

That kind of stuff takes intelligence and neither of those groups have enough of it to do it properly.

Anything that happens on the island that looks a bit dodgy is the result of piss poor planning and ineptitude followed by an attempt to cover up.

They really don't have the brains to plan stuff........................

Edited by Blade Runner
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hoops said:

While there is truth in what you say, Sarah Wagenknecht, a far left German leader, has accused her party of neglecting ordinary people for a metropolitan elite, and being too pre-occupied with "gender-conscious language and pricey organic products" rather then fighting low-pay. 

That rings a bell for me, while the Tories have never offered me anything, it doesn't feel that Labour are that much more relevant now.

Or is that the narrative the right has been pushing for years? Leading to Boris’s red wall gains at the last election. Maybe there’s a grain of truth in it but I bet the Labour candidate in Lee Anderson’s seat would have had a better approach to food banks. 

16 minutes ago, Hoops said:

While there is truth in what you say, Sarah Wagenknecht, a far left German leader, has accused her party of neglecting ordinary people for a metropolitan elite, and being too pre-occupied with "gender-conscious language and pricey organic products" rather then fighting low-pay. 

That rings a bell for me, while the Tories have never offered me anything, it doesn't feel that Labour are that much more relevant now.

I don't think that's because of a focus on gender issues though, because Labour are shite at that too. They're just a pointless party.

8 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Are the complainers Living Hope?  There is certainly an element of the smug smiling "I know I am right because God told me so" in some of those videos. 

It’s beginning to look that way. As Roger mentioned earlier in this thread the Scripture Union were stopped from delivering sex Ed (it was discussion of that which started this thread). Then this happens as soon as the new thing starts. 

Obviously there will be some concerned parents too but they’ve only heard one side. 

1 minute ago, Declan said:

Or is that the narrative the right has been pushing for years? Leading to Boris’s red wall gains at the last election. Maybe there’s a grain of truth in it but I bet the Labour candidate in Lee Anderson’s seat would have had a better approach to food banks. 

Well, when a respected far left leader says it is an actual problem, there's probably more then a grain of truth in it. Look at how Sturgeon pushed a gender, erm, agenda, without really having seemed to have properly thought it through in all it's ramifications. The right are pushing that narrative, but bloody hell, the left are making it easy for them.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hoops said:

Absolutely this. We saw a lot of it with covid too, the failures of the progressive left in the UK and in the US. Possibly caused in a way by their own success.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Hoops said:

I wouldn’t particularly put Kier Starmer too far on the left these days. I’d much rather it if Angela Raynor took over. My personal preference for the last few years now has been the LibDems. Still not perfect but best of a bad bunch imo.

Edited by Chie
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Chie said:

I wouldn’t particularly put Kier Starmer too far on the left these days. I’d much rather it if Angela Raynor took over. My personal preference for the last few years now has been the LibDems. Still not perfect but best of a bad bunch imo.

I much prefered Corbyn to Starmer. I'd maybe vote against someone, but that's it. But having moved away from the left/right dichotomy is refreshing, there's no 'party line' to follow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

The baby hears the mother's voice all the time, how will they know when she is talking to them? 

My kids must have learnt how to ignore me when in the womb because they were highly adept at doing so after they were born! 😉

I think its more for the father and siblings to do but Mum was encouraged to do it deliberately as well.

Just now, manxman1980 said:

I think its more for the father and siblings to do but Mum was encouraged to do it deliberately as well.

Yes, but that has been a thing since my child bearing days (now a very long time ago) when the father was encouraged to talk to the bump.  Not disagreeing with you, just saying it is not a new concept.  

I also remember that other domestic environmental noises were to be recognised as part of the preparation like the family dog barking, music,  hoovering, siblings playing, tv etc.  So, once born a baby would sleep through these noises and not be startled, rather than putting the whole household into silence so as not to wake baby.  What that would do would be to undo all the acclimatisation the baby had naturally acquired before birth. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Yes, but that has been a thing since my child bearing days (now a very long time ago) when the father was encouraged to talk to the bump.  Not disagreeing with you, just saying it is not a new concept.  

I also remember that other domestic environmental noises were to be recognised as part of the preparation like the family dog barking, music,  hoovering, siblings playing, tv etc.  So, once born a baby would sleep through these noises and not be startled, rather than putting the whole household into silence so as not to wake baby.  What that would do would be to undo all the acclimatisation the baby had naturally acquired before birth. 

I don't doubt that it is not a new concept but apparently @The Voice of Reason has never heard any of it.  Perhaps this type of advice should be added to the PHSE curriculum.

Edited by manxman1980
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I don't doubt that it is not a new concept but apparently @The Voice of Reason has never heard any of it.  Perhaps this type of advice should be added to the PHSE curriculum.

Yes you’re right I wasn’t encouraged ( by whom?) to talk to the bump. 

I do however remember accompanying my wife to our first pre natal class. 

I was the only male in the room of half a dozen women waggling their bottoms in the air.

I don’t mind admitting I felt a bit uncomfortable. And I imagine the other women did with my presence.

My wife, very sensibly told me to go the pub from where she would pick me up once the session had finished.

8 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Yes you’re right I wasn’t encouraged ( by whom?) to talk to the bump. 

I do however remember accompanying my wife to our first pre natal class. 

I was the only male in the room of half a dozen women waggling their bottoms in the air.

I don’t mind admitting I felt a bit uncomfortable. And I imagine the other women did with my presence.

My wife, very sensibly told me to go the pub from where she would pick me up once the session had finished.

It is of an age, but why did you feel uncomfortable? There was not one woman there who hadn't got there with some male involvement.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It is of an age, but why did you feel uncomfortable? There was not one woman there who hadn't got there with some male involvement.  

Yes but I wasn’t there for that!

Its not a dignified look for a woman (or a man)  to be on all fours shaking their ass.

Well maybe it is now but thirty years ago it certainly wasn’t 

Edited by The Voice of Reason