Sex education and religion

Itsmeee

Me and my 11 year old are watching Spongebob. Here's a still from the first movie, and people who've seen it will know how brilliant that scene is.

19 Times "The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie" Was The Absolute ...

So i can talk to him about Patrick dressing up like that if I want. This is suitable for an 11 year old boy.

What is not suitable is an actual adult male who dresses like that being in his school talking about it.

Like, at all. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Me and my 11 year old are watching Spongebob. Here's a still from the first movie, and people who've seen it will know how brilliant that scene is.

19 Times "The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie" Was The Absolute ...

So i can talk to him about Patrick dressing up like that if I want. This is suitable for an 11 year old boy.

What is not suitable is an actual adult male who dresses like that being in his school talking about it.

Like, at all. 

But was it "an actual adult male who dresses like that"?  Or a trans woman?

Hypothetically a teacher could be a drag queen in their spare time and I doubt many would have an issue.

2 hours ago, Cronky said:

Telling children they'll be "scarred for life" by something has the potential to be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Edited by Declan
  • Like 7

12 minutes ago, Declan said:

But was it "an actual adult male who dresses like that"?  Or a trans woman?

Hypothetically a teacher could be a drag queen in their spare time and I doubt many would have an issue.

I suspect the Daily Mail and its readership, were it to find out that John Smith, 48, a physics teacher from Wolverhampton performed at night as 'Eureka Bazooka', would have an issue. 

Edit - your first point I don't know, we don't know, no one appears to be telling the truth.

Edited by TheTeapot

TBH, if in that situation when it started going viral, my first thought as Alfie's parent, would not be "ooh you have gone viral" but how can I protect you from the publicity and any onlline nastiness, and have you got a good group of friends at school to support you in any crap there. 

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Like, at all. 

I don't get it. I appreciate we're living in a conservative inbred backwater here, but presumably if kids are ever to leave Craggy Island and go forth into the real world outside of the set of "The Wicker Man", they will mix with (and possibly indulge in) alternative sexualities and viewpoints as a matter of course. Isn't it better to educate them about this than clapping our hands over their ears so that they don't hear things that offend our own conservatism ?

Or should we limit education to some sort of Victorian curriculum where sex is regarded as a filthy, covert activity that needs to be lectured about by church members in a slightly judgemental way ?

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

…presumably if kids are ever to leave Craggy Island and go forth into the real world outside of the set of "The Wicker Man", they will mix with (and possibly indulge in) alternative sexualities and viewpoints as a matter of course

Bad choice of metaphor: I doubt Lord Summerisle would have had any issue with alternative sexualities…

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

I don't get it. I appreciate we're living in a conservative inbred backwater here, but presumably if kids are ever to leave Craggy Island and go forth into the real world outside of the set of "The Wicker Man", they will mix with (and possibly indulge in) alternative sexualities and viewpoints as a matter of course. Isn't it better to educate them about this than clapping our hands over their ears so that they don't hear things that offend our own conservatism ?

Or should we limit education to some sort of Victorian curriculum where sex is regarded as a filthy, covert activity that needs to be lectured about by church members in a slightly judgemental way ?

My objection is the age thing really. 11. I don't want people who i've no idea who they are but have clearly made their sexual desire the key part of their personality talking to young children. 13/14 i'd be less bothered I think, but 11? 

Maybe its just me.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

Agreed, but it has to be age appropriate and that is probably what this is all about.  I would not be too happy about my 11 year old children being spoken to about various sexual acts, but I would be OK about a mature and sympathetically presented discussion on gender and sexuality.  

The other stuff allegedly discussed is OK for older 16+ kids, but again it has to be introduced maturely and sympathetically.  I also get the point about consent and being able to recognise that abuse is wrong. 

As for putting a condom on a dildo, not every phallus shaped thing is a sex toy.

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

My objection is the age thing really. 11. I don't want people who i've no idea who they are but have clearly made their sexual desire the key part of their personality talking to young children. 13/14 i'd be less bothered I think, but 11? 

Maybe its just me.

If that is what happened.  We still do not know if it was a drag queen, hasn't that been denied by the school?