Sex education and religion

Itsmeee

48 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Age appropriate is a fun term, so is the argument "they're going to get exposed to this kind of stuff anyway". When do they let a junkie in to show them how to cook up? Or a mixologist to show how to make a Manhattan?

About the only even slightly positive thing about this story is that it will hopefully make parents think. It's certainly made me think. 

I don't think there are any easy answers.  I suppose you could argue that parents are abdicating their responsibilities and leaving it up to schools to provide this type of information.  At the same time though I can see the argument that it is better coming from a school who, you would hope, would present a sensible rounded view.

I have not looked at the curriculum but I would be surprised if drugs and alcohol were not part of the PHSE curriculum.  Particularly as teenage drinking and sex so often go hand in hand.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Neither is having sex at 14.

Drugs are everywhere, they seem to be prevalent at a younger age than they were when I was a kid too. We'd be trying to get hold of a bottle of Thunderbird or Mad Dog 20/20 at 15, now it's ket.

Our drug 'education' basically consisted of drugs are bad mkay, which turned out to be nonsense as soon as that first brew kicked in. I wonder what they teach the kids nowadays? Communication from the school, apart from when they're trying to flog something, is a bit weak.

Don't be daft, street drugs are bad, really bad and can be fatal due to unknown strengths.

You want to smoke or inject something that has been made by an illiterate  gang in South America cut with petrol or a "bit of weed" stuck up some whore's fanny or ass and cut with god knows what then crack on.

I would rather get my drugs from the NHS as approved by NICE.

They do a very nice selection of opiates. 🙂 Although I don't indulge in that type anymore after my operation. 

Drugs are bad, really bad when they are street type drugs for the above reasons.

If regulated and strengths set, then they are fine - If you need them for medical reasons

NOT because you want to blot out your problems. If that is your driver to get drugs seek mental health help before you do. I say this from experience too, not just a right wing rant. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

I don't think there are any easy answers.  I suppose you could argue that parents are abdicating their responsibilities and leaving it up to schools to provide this type of information.  At the same time though I can see the argument that it is better coming from a school who, you would hope, would present a sensible rounded view.

Or you could argue that some parents are aware of their responsibilities, are paying attention to their childrens development and are genuinely concerned at whatever it is that's going on in our secondary schools, not just whatever this latest turns out to be.

Sex education should obviously be provided by school, by proper educators. They should do a proper job of it, its important. Parents should know what's in the lessons, fully. And who!! Its what kind though, as well as when. I don't think anyone would be objecting to teaching about reproduction, but sex as part of your lifestyle is a completely different thing. I am still surprised that year 7 kids would be involved in that type of class, or that people think they should. 

I wonder if my resistance to the inevitable growing up that's coming is cos I can remember being a teenager and know what I was like.

You're right though, there aren't easy answers. 

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Cronky said:

In the Daily Mail today:

The parents who fear their 11-year-olds will be scarred for life by the graphic sex education lessons that no one warned them about... and the drag queen who told pupils there are 73 genders wasn't the worst of it

So, basically, the school's teaching is that the state's view of the parents is the correct one and the child's view is wrong.

In other words they deliberately undermined the boy's  relationship with his Mum and Dad and, by default, their authority.

No one actually says 73 genders except the right wing numpties. It’s in the same category as stating “buhh attack helicopter”. Nothing more than a knee jerk exaggeration, made by people who want to ridicule the existence of more than two gender identities. This is how we know the claims are mostly BS as, a lot of the claims ARE the knee jerk right wing failed comedian attack helicopter statements and claims.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Me and my 11 year old are watching Spongebob. Here's a still from the first movie, and people who've seen it will know how brilliant that scene is.

19 Times "The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie" Was The Absolute ...

So i can talk to him about Patrick dressing up like that if I want. This is suitable for an 11 year old boy.

What is not suitable is an actual adult male who dresses like that being in his school talking about it.

Like, at all. 

There wasn’t though, there wasn’t a drag Queen in the school. You can keep beating that dead donkey all you want but it ever happened.

2 minutes ago, Chie said:

There wasn’t though, there wasn’t a drag Queen in the school. You can keep beating that dead donkey all you want but it ever happened.

Unless, unless, a deemster in wig and gowns was picking up his kid......

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Chie said:

Who was in the school then seeing as you are clearly in the know? I'm not beating any donkeys, alive or dead.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Who was in the school then seeing as you are clearly in the know? I'm not beating any donkeys, alive or dead.

As I said before, pretty sure the school have denied there was a drag queen there.

Also, nothing I have seen indicates that there was not a teacher in attendance at any of these occasions. 

Absolutely not saying everything is tickety boo, but we need facts, very quickly.  Some of the complained about events were in September, and we know that the Minister was emailed about it mid-February, so why are we still waiting for a formal response nearly 6 months later, or nearly three weeks after the Minister was alerted? 

• Like 2