Sex education and religion

Itsmeee

26 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

@Hoops @The Voice of Reason

Sam Smith is hardly the first artist to venture into this territory though.

David Bowie/Ziggy Stardust? Eddie Izzard? 

Can we stop pretending that this is a recent thing?

Who is doing this? As pointed out kids have always wanted to “shock” And they’ve done so  by adopting such performers in the past ( maybe not Izzard though)

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Second sentence

11 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Who is doing this? As pointed out kids have always wanted to “shock” And they’ve done so  by adopting such performers in the past ( maybe not Izzard though)

Are kids often waking up having a homosexual Tuesday to shock?

”Father, I have decided today is my gay day, wish me luck”. 

No? Then, why does the matter of gender make it more likely?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Are kids often waking up having a homosexual Tuesday to shock?

”Father, I have decided today is my gay day, wish me luck”. 

No? Then, why does the matter of gender make it more likely?

You just made me spit out my coffee reading that middle line 😂.

• Haha 1

One of the reasons for wide ranging compulsory social education that includes sex, gender, sexuality, diversity inclusion, plus respect and consent, from an early age, is to try and stop families teaching narrow minded and bigoted attitudes and society ending up with racist, misogynistic, homophobic adults.

It’s not always successful.

Sea Terminal 5 March 2023

C79E060C-F7AB-4B4A-9D10-0BF5C5F548BF.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, John Wright said:

One of the reasons for wide ranging social education that includes sex, gender, sexuality, diversity inclusion, plus respect and consent, from an early age, is to try and stop families teaching narrow minded and bigoted attitudes and society ending up with racist, misogynistic, homophobic adults.

It’s not always successful.

Sea Terminal 5 March 2023

C79E060C-F7AB-4B4A-9D10-0BF5C5F548BF.jpeg

Sometimes you can tell someone is unhinged from their handwriting.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Hoops said:

But, to a degree, it feels to me, that some elements of the mainstream entertainment industry are going beyond giving trans people a voice and actively 'promoting' trans artists - explain Sam Smith otherwise!

But looking at Smith's Wiki he doesn't seem to have announced he was anything but gay before 2017 and as non-binary only in 2019.  By which time he had an extremely successful and award-laden career.  So you can't blame bandwagon-jumping for his success.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hoops said:

it feels to me, that some elements of the mainstream entertainment industry are going beyond giving trans people a voice and actively 'promoting' trans artists - explain Sam Smith otherwise!

I don’t think they are trans. Non Binary doesn’t equal trans, by a long stretch.

Perhaps you could think of gender and non binary as a spectrum or continuum with two ends and a winding connection. A bit like sexuality.

So from gay to straight, via bi, and lots of by ways and diversions on the way, and you don’t need to wake up in the same place every day. Same for gender. Man to Woman to both, via neither. Or gender fluid, gender queer. It’s not important to you how I, or Sam Smith, or Will Young, identify.  But there’s no reason why you should be disrespectful of us, and how we wish to be referred to.

Likewise, mermaids isn’t about promoting trans. It’s about how to, humanely, with compassion, deal with what young people are actually presenting and saying.

• Like 1