Sex education and religion

Itsmeee

Just now, potiron said:

I suppose you think furrys are a genuine gender too . ( thats the idiots that identify as animals )  bloody fools want lockin up

To the best of my knowledge, though it's certainly not my area of expertise, furries don't identify as animals, they like dressing as them.

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

It just does. 

They're just my feelings. 

You should respect them.

Seems like it's more a you problem then.

I'd rather the kids were exposed to a cross section of people from society than had some of the people on this thread give them pre-conceived biases about others. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Banker said:

I notice a lot of the people on Facebook shouting cover up, sack the minister, my kid doesn’t lie etc are the anti vaxxers mob who appear constantly on any controversy to promote their views 

That was always going to be the case, unless it came out what they actually believed happened they weren't accepting anything else. It's getting beyond boring now, everything is a conspiracy.

1 minute ago, jackwhite said:

I'd rather the kids were exposed to a cross section of people from society than had some of the people on this thread give them pre-conceived biases about others. 

Yeah, I'm the problem clearly.

Fuck off.

• Like 1

Just now, TheTeapot said:

Yeah, I'm the problem clearly.

Fuck off.

So, to summarise, you'd rather kids grew up with your own prejudices rather than let them make their own mind up?

It's always useful to have nonsense like this occur. It allows people to pull back the mask and let their real prejudices out. Then we can all sit back at the end and know who not to be involved with in our lives any longer (and laugh at them too of course).

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

I don't really know. Since the story broke, and with my kid currently in an obvious grow up stage of his life, I've been thinking about it. I think I'm very suspicious of basically everything.

That's fair, I just think this one particular thing is probably blown massively out of proportion because it's the "new" thing to make a fuss about. There are far worse things people can be and do on their own time than a drag artist. And many of those people are out and about interacting with the public for their day jobs too. At least in this instance the person was trained in the topics they presented on, (presumably) DBS checked, and accompanied by 2 teachers. I think as far as risk to anyone's kids goes, they were much safer than having 5minutes of unsupervised access to YouTube.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, jackwhite said:

So, to summarise, you'd rather kids grew up with your own prejudices rather than let them make their own mind up?

It's always useful to have nonsense like this occur. It allows people to pull back the mask and let their real prejudices out. Then we can all sit back at the end and know who not to be involved with in our lives any longer (and laugh at them too of course).

I think that's an unfair characterisation of Teapot's comments.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

That’s unfair. This is man who has contributed loads to this thread. This is also a man who has a child and who is feeling conflicted. By shutting him down as ‘the problem’ you’re shutting down your, and our, opportunity to understand other points of view. 

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

That’s unfair. This is man who has contributed loads to this thread. This is also a man who has a child and who is feeling conflicted. By shutting him down as ‘the problem’ you’re shutting down your, and our, opportunity to understand other points of view. 

No one is shutting him down. 

He's saying that he has a problem with someone because they dress up. 

I have sympathy for anyone bringing up a kid anywhere. I actually think it's particularly difficult here. 

To me, people are now moving on from being outraged about something that didn't actually happen to now having issues with people being in the schools. 

My question would have to be then, what is it he feels uncomfortable with? He says it's just a feeling. Unless he can elucidate exactly what his concerns are, given the idiocy on social media over this, you'll forgive me if I am suspicious of his motives. 

I suppose to put it a better way, what would he advise his child if they ask the same question. 

2 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

My question would have to be then, what is it he feels uncomfortable with? He says it's just a feeling. Unless he can elucidate exactly what his concerns are, given the idiocy on social media over this, you'll forgive me if I am suspicious of his motives. 

My reading of the post is that that is hard to put into words and may be more feeling than any concrete reason. Which is a fair feeling to have, even if it's one I'm likely going to disagree with. Having been around here for a while and interacted with Teapot a fair amount, I am not suspicious of his motives.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Banker said:

I notice a lot of the people on Facebook shouting cover up, sack the minister, my kid doesn’t lie etc are the anti vaxxers mob who appear constantly on any controversy to promote their views 

You get to feel like part of a club, humans are tribal.

Us vs them etc.

Gives them the warm fuzzies to have something to shout about with others.

6 minutes ago, HeliX said:

That's fair, I just think this one particular thing is probably blown massively out of proportion because it's the "new" thing to make a fuss about. There are far worse things people can be and do on their own time than a drag artist. And many of those people are out and about interacting with the public for their day jobs too. At least in this instance the person was trained in the topics they presented on, (presumably) DBS checked, and accompanied by 2 teachers. I think as far as risk to anyone's kids goes, they were much safer than having 5minutes of unsupervised access to YouTube.

Oh it was definitely blown out of all proportion of course. But absolutely nothing that has happened since, including todays Tynwald statement has been in any way reassuring. If anything it has made things worse, certainly in my opinion of the education department. Jack white thinks it brings out my prejudices, maybe it does, I've got a pretty strong prejudice against authority, got a pretty strong prejudice against the current vogue of 'doing this supposedly good thing because its good without thinking of all the potential negatives', got a pretty strong prejudice against propaganda aimed at developing minds. 

It's pretty hard to get accurate information about what goes on at school from an 11yr old, it is even harder to get it from the school itself. The whole thing has been piss poor from the DoE.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

It still makes me uncomfortable that someone whose hobby is dressing up in drag is considered an appropriate adult to be giving talks to 11 year olds in school.

yes, it's like a fat doctor telling others to lose weight.

24 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I don't really know. Since the story broke, and with my kid currently in an obvious grow up stage of his life, I've been thinking about it. I think I'm very suspicious of basically everything.

It's a bit like religion, some sectors of society can be more forceful of their views than others and to be honest, I share your conflicting views. I don't feel like a good guy for saying it, I don't like to prejudice, but I get you completely. Kids of the age we are talking are easily influenced.

I watched that video of Matthew Cheetham on GB News and it just summarises that family. Glamorising and making things up to suit an agenda. That isn't right and is very different to simply sharing your views and concerns as others have here.

Edited by NoTailT