Sex education and religion

Itsmeee

50 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Well I don't think the church should be in school either.

What is someones motivation for dressing up and performing like that? A concern would be that it is very much a sex thing, someone who puts their sex life, their desire, right at the very front of their personality. I don't know if that is the case, I don't know any drag artists to ask. But if you make your personality all about sex then you probably shouldn't be going into school. 

Are you confusing cross-dressing (tranvestites) with gay drag performance? I wasn't sure whether that is why you are mentioning sex here or whether it's because you think that a drag queen (being almost certainly a gay person) is in some way putting sex life 'out there'.  

Drag performances are for an adult audience in most cases, as sexual innuendo forms part of the repertoire, but that's the performances themselves. 

2 minutes ago, La_Dolce_Vita said:

Are you confusing cross-dressing (tranvestites) with gay drag performance? I wasn't sure whether that is why you are mentioning sex here or whether it's because you think that a drag queen (being almost certainly a gay person) is in some way putting sex life 'out there'.  

Drag performances are for an adult audience in most cases, as sexual innuendo forms part of the repertoire, but that's the performances themselves. 

I mean, in the post I made that you have quoted, it says the words I DO NOT KNOW IF THAT IS THE CASE.

I'm asking questions, trying to understand, not making accusations or anything. 

I have been to a drag show, only one. I did not get it. I do not get it. It seemed seedy and ridiculous to me. But lots of people, both men and women, were clearly having a fun time.

I see from the posts that there are still some people that imagine that there are only two biological sexes. Even if we isolate biology from gender, it's more complex than that. 

Gender aside, if we're talking in purely biological terms, there are intersex individuals that are born with both sets of genital organs, or without a set of genital organs. There are individuals who are born with partial genitalia - a vagina, but no cervix or womb, or a penis without testicles. There are individuals who are born with a set of genitalia that's ambiguous, has features from both genders or can't be easily identified as male or female.

Chromosomally there's a spectrum too. Males are usually XY, females XX. That isn't the end of the story though. There are relatively common instances where individuals are born with only a single X chromosome (Turner Syndrome) or XXY (Klinefelter Syndrome). There are individuals who identify as male who have XYY, and who identify as female who have XXX chromosomes. All of these individuals do not have the XX/XY makeup of that typically defines a male or female in biological terms. There are individuals who have chromosomal mosaics - Dutch sprinter Foekje Dillema was banned in the 1950s when despite living her life as a woman, it was found that some of her body cells contained a Y chromosome, which made her body produce extra testosterone.

As is their right, they define themselves in terms of gender - they might identify as female or male, despite not having the chromosomal makeup that defines them as such.

Here's a Youtube video that talks about the struggles of Celeste, who has Turner syndrome (single X chromosome). Celeste regards Turner syndrome as an intersex condition,

Edited by The Bastard
  • Like 1

Why can't we just let kids be kids? 

It's no wonder there's so many waiting to seeing mental health services, I honestly didn't know anything about gender, sex, mental health issues at 11/12 all I wanted to do was get a football and go play with my mates. Maybe times change and social media has a lot to answer for but my thoughts are a lot is getting pushed onto kids and there's little to no coping mechanisms. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

It's no wonder there's so many waiting to seeing mental health services, I honestly didn't know anything about gender, sex, mental health issues at 11/12 all I wanted to do was get a football and go play with my mates. Maybe times change and social media has a lot to answer for but my thoughts are a lot is getting pushed onto kids and there's little to no coping mechanisms. 

Problem is, kids find out all sorts on YouTube and the rest of the internet. So what you don't teach, they'll get through tiktok and the rest.

6 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

The island has that many problems and issues, lots stemming from Covid, and yet lots of time and media exposure has been devoted to this issue, which of the islands making. 

Religion, Sex Education and other Social Issues being taught at schools should be taught by qualified teachers. God Botherers shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near schools. Outside teaching or presentation on Sex Education should be banned, with teaching of the curriculum being conducted by Teachers. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I mean, in the post I made that you have quoted, it says the words I DO NOT KNOW IF THAT IS THE CASE.

I have been to a drag show, only one. I did not get it. I do not get it. It seemed seedy and ridiculous to me. But lots of people, both men and women, were clearly having a fun time.

Drag is about putting on a show, it's loud and gaudy and brash.

The pantomime dames are definitely not 'sexy', but, they're a typical association we have with drag.

There is some bawdy stuff too, but that has a time and a place. Usually at adult shows etc.

One of the reasons drag has taken off is that it makes for good television, if you like something with flair, drama and costume making. Think the sewing bee, mixed with something performative like pop idol, with very camp and distinct personalities thrown in. Shows like drag race have made it a lot more mainstream.

Some people do dress up as the opposite sex as a sex thing, but they generally do that behind closed doors, or charge for it on OnlyFans.

13 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

You present an understanding or view, which you say is an assumption, and when you are asked you seem a little defensive and repeat that you know next to nothing about these things.  I'm only trying to suss out what you do know or have misunderstood to see if I can explain.

I didn't know whether the sex thing was about the drag or being gay. 

But yeah, drag shows are very often about sex and many are seedy.  However, it is a performance.  That performance is not given in the school, as you would know.  

There are different reasons why drag queens and artists exist and why the performances are popular.  I personally like some forms and dislike others. But the whole thing of the person doing drag as a hobby or job is not relevant now anyway. Nobody turned up in drag doing a drag performance.  It's like someone saying a comedian, clown, or belly dancer came in to the school and then finding out it's just a reference to what that person does as a hobby. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, La_Dolce_Vita said:

You present an understanding or view, which you say is an assumption, and when you are asked you seem a little defensive and repeat that you know next to nothing about these things.  I'm only trying to suss out what you do know or have misunderstood to see if I can explain.

I didn't know whether the sex thing was about the drag or being gay. 

But yeah, drag shows are very often about sex and many are seedy.  However, it is a performance.  That performance is not given in the school, as you would know.  

There are different reasons why drag queens and artists exist and why the performances are popular.  I personally like some forms and dislike others. But the whole thing of the person doing drag as a hobby or job is not relevant now anyway. Nobody turned up in drag doing a drag performance.  It's like someone saying a comedian, clown, or belly dancer came in to the school and then finding out it's just a reference to what that person does as a hobby. 

Where, in any of my posts on this topic, have I said anything about being gay? You say its me being defensive?

People have different lives, different approaches to life, different motivations. We all know that. People are people, they are both the same and different.

I said that I don't think that someone who has their sex life as the dominant part of their personality should be going into a school. Personally I think that's inarguable.

I asked what someones motivation for dressing up in drag might be, and whether it is actually a sex thing. 

You completely and deliberately misread something I wrote the other week and pissed me right off, please don't do it again.

34 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Some people do dress up as the opposite sex as a sex thing, but they generally do that behind closed doors, or charge for it on OnlyFans.

how much do you make from that then ?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Where, in any of my posts on this topic, have I said anything about being gay? You say its me being defensive?

People have different lives, different approaches to life, different motivations. We all know that. People are people, they are both the same and different.

I said that I don't think that someone who has their sex life as the dominant part of their personality should be going into a school. Personally I think that's inarguable.

I asked what someones motivation for dressing up in drag might be, and whether it is actually a sex thing. 

You completely and deliberately misread something I wrote the other week and pissed me right off, please don't do it again.

Thing is, how many people do really make their sex life a dominant part of their personality?  If you think about it, do heterosexual people make their sex life the dominant part of their personality?  

There are, absolutely, some people who are sexual predators and that does define them, but that is not an exclusive preserve of non-heterosexuals, quite the reverse, even if just by sheer numbers. 

For most people, their sexuality is just a small element of their make up.  It is more an issue of perception of someone who is not the same as you.  Very simply, years ago anyone who was gay would be given a wide berth by members of the same sex, because they may be 'fancied' by them.  Truth is they would probably not be attractive to that gay person who would more likely prefer to make a play for someone who may be on their wavelength, not just because they are the same sex. 

10 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

...I said that I don't think that someone who has their sex life as the dominant part of their personality should be going into a school. Personally I think that's inarguable.

You didn't explain where this idea of sex life being a dominant part of someone's personality comes from.  I'm only asking.  It's an assumption or supposition you've made and I'm trying to understand what you mean.

I didn't deliberately misread.  I misread. What would be the point of deliberately misreading if it's quite plain what you had said. I apologized for misquoting.

But no, drag performances are not a sex thing.  Cross-dressing is a sex thing.  That's where men (or women) get a sexual thrill from dressing in different clothes.

8 minutes ago, La_Dolce_Vita said:

But no, drag performances are not a sex thing.  Cross-dressing is a sex thing.  That's where men (or women) get a sexual thrill from dressing in different clothes.

Thank you, this bit is helpful.

I am trying to learn.

• Like 2