Sex education and religion

Itsmeee

16 minutes ago, Gladys said:

The report said that when the pupils responded '2' to the question of how many genders there were the drag queen told them to leave.  If true, that is completely wrong.  The drag queen should have used it as an opportunity to explain the difference between sex and gender, and the wide spectrum of the latter, which let's face it, the rest of us are only coming to understand now. 

But, do we know the truth of what happened? 

Given who started the petitions I'd be surprised if it weren't a load of made up horseshit. It was full of negative stereotypes which is likely a bit of a giveaway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One of the big trends I’m seeing more of with kids is the idea of personal space.

If they a hug or kiss want they can have one, their parents can ask for a hug or kiss. But if the kid doesn’t feel like it, that choice is respected.

It really reinforces the idea to the child that your space and body is yours, and other people can only come into it if you want them to. 

If a young person is taught and shown their autonomy is respected, they’re a lot more likely to respect that of others. And to be aware of when theirs is being violated. Ideally, that’s something that then follows on to make them better adults too. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

One of the big trends I’m seeing more of with kids is the idea of personal space.

If they a hug or kiss want they can have one, their parents can ask for a hug or kiss. But if the kid doesn’t feel like it, that choice is respected.

It really reinforces the idea to the child that your space and body is yours, and other people can only come into it if you want them to. 

If a young person is taught and shown their autonomy is respected, they’re a lot more likely to respect that of others. And to be aware of when theirs is being violated. Ideally, that’s something that then follows on to make them better adults too. 

The rallying cry of the twerp is always to complain that any sort of sex education is grooming. But the statistics don't lie, and teenagers who understand what is acceptable and isn't, what is sexual and isn't, how to practice safe sex etc are all at vastly lower risk of abuse from adults and other teenagers than those who don't.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

If only that were true Helix. All we've done is to sexualise childhood and rob kids of that essential childhood innocence and healthy emotional development.

Teenagers are actually having less sex now than those of the past.

In the US, it has dropped 15% since the 1990s. They’re also waiting later and later to have it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

What is this question? Fucks sake.

I'm trying to understand whether your disagreement about anal sex is just about that or it being too early to talk about penetrative sex at all.  And if the former, why? I don't see a good reason to talk only about vaginal intercourse.

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Gender would be OK though? 

Maybe. And I doubt the drag queen was talking about sex, which someone else has assumed.

But I don't think I have enough to facts to go on to have much of a view. Was it really a drag queen going in to the school or was it someone trans talking about gender. I think it more likely that it was someone trans, which would be appropriate. But I don't know so I don't think I can comment and I don't think anyone else can do either until they have the facts.

And we don't really know what was said either. If the person said that people identity as not just being either a man or a woman then fine. 

10 minutes ago, La_Dolce_Vita said:

I'm trying to understand whether your disagreement about anal sex is just about that or it being too early to talk about penetrative sex at all.  And if the former, why? I don't see a good reason to talk only about vaginal intercourse.

This is my post

14 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Which year is this taught to? My young fella is year 7, that's 11/12yr olds, he's still a kid, i'd prefer them to wait a few years please. 

You appear, for some weird fucking reason that I do not understand, to be trying to put words in my mouth. What's your real reason? Are you just trying to be a twat? 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

This is my post

You appear, for some weird fucking reason that I do not understand, to be trying to put words in my mouth. What's your real reason? Are you just trying to be a twat? 

I'm sorry. I misquoted cissholt.  It's a misunderstanding.  No need to get so wound up about it.

Though, I'm not seeing why there is so much bother here, as this curriculum piece seem to be tied prior understanding or teaching of vaginal intercourse.  Children seem to be already about taught about one form sex at that age anyway.  Talking about other forms is just giving a fuller understanding. 

8 minutes ago, La_Dolce_Vita said:

I'm sorry. I misquoted cissholt.  It's a misunderstanding.  No need to get so wound up about it.

Though, I'm not seeing why there is so much bother here, as this curriculum piece seem to be tied prior understanding or teaching of vaginal intercourse.  Children seem to be already about taught about one form sex at that age anyway.  Talking about other forms is just giving a fuller understanding. 

The seemed to be an obvious subtext in your question.

I don't remember sex education at Park Road, (yrs 7&8), I do remember it at St Ninians back in the 90s. Year 9 is probably the right time to start, year 7 is quite obviously too young in my view.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, La_Dolce_Vita said:

not really, sex education of old was really reproduction education or one aspect of our biology.  'sex' as in carnal indulgence is another topic altogether