Peston on Johnson.

ManxTaxPayer

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2022/mar/13/michael-gove-defends-evgeny-lebedev-new-questions-raised-about-peerage

Lebedev Sr. bestowed his wealth on his son (a friend of BoJo). Don’t all rich people bestow wealth on their offspring? Lebedev Jr. says that he is not “some agent of Russia”. I believe him. (Just like I believe Philby when he says he is not a Soviet spy – what has the world become if one cannot trust the word of a gentleman?)

As Lebedev Sr. is a billionaire, I find it fascinating how lucrative it must be working for KGB. Who knew? I assume most former KGB employees are either billionaires or dead. (I am now convinced “Killing Eve” is a true story). I therefore hazard a guess that our spooks are envious that they are not getting the same financial rewards slogging away for the British security services (other than ‘paltry’ old-age pensions); and their so-called ‘security concerns’ regarding Lebedev(s) such as that Lebedev Sr. “was in KGB as far back as 2013” whilst being a part-proprietor of the Evening Standard from 21 January 2009 is just spiteful hogwash, IMHO.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/sep/09/hunt-the-banker-confessions-of-a-russian-ex-oligarch-alexander-lebedev-review

But even if it was true, what harm could it have possibly done? Many people these days work two jobs just to make ends meet – that Italian castle where British glitterati like to party (including Victoria Coren Mitchell presumably with her left-leaning husband David, or is he?) won’t manage itself.  

Edited by code99

• 2 months later...