Douglas Combined Sixth Form

7 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I'm afraid Derek, like many of the extremely elderly, you have lapsed into the delusion that schools must be exactly the same as they were when you were young.  But as well as exciting new technologies such as computers and pen and ink, rather than a select few staying on for post-16 education, now practically everyone does.  These figures from the UK give 86% going on to an 'educational destination' and other figures I have seen suggest an increase on that in the last few years. 

Some of this will be in subjects at UCM, but most, including 'practical' subjects are taught in the schools.  So there's no real saving in amalgamating Sixth Forms on one site because they are already pretty full.  And as already pointed out, schools make special arrangement for minority subjects already.

There are also the dangers of over-provision.  According to the Census the the peak age for children was 12 with 1025 aged that at the end of last May.  But these kids will already be in Sixth Form before anything can be built and numbers drop off pretty quickly for younger groups.  There were only 657 under 1.  So while there may be problems at the moment, by the time any solution is found it won't be needed.

You do know what I do for a living, don’t you?

3 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

@Derek Flint out of interest how many provincial town's or areas with a population of 80,000 have their own Police Force and Chief Constable? 

How many have a moat?

compare and contrast ‘isle of Wight’

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

You do know what I do for a living, don’t you?

How many have a moat?

compare and contrast ‘isle of Wight’

It's part of Hampshire Constabulary isn't it?

The fact that we have a "moat" is the reason you can't compare the Island with a UK town.

On 3/11/2022 at 10:12 PM, manxman1980 said:

It's part of Hampshire Constabulary isn't it?

The fact that we have a "moat" is the reason you can't compare the Island with a UK town.

Yes. My point is look at how a similar sized island is operated . The moat is relevant as it reduces, not increases options.

the island’s biggest failing Is trying to do everything as if it had a population of 10 times what it does

Edited by Derek Flint
  • Thanks 1

On 3/10/2022 at 8:51 AM, manxman1980 said:

@Derek Flintsure it makes sense in one regard but the Island isn't a provincial town and the solutions that work best here aren't necessarily the best for a provincial town and vice versa.

I certainly would not support an all Island Sixth Form College being based in Douglas.  

Yet it would be more benefit economically if it were in Ramsey.

It would also not pile more traffic into the capitol in the mornings.