Hospitality Visas

18 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Both are awful drinks tbh. 

There are always outliers. 

H&B sell some drinks at less than £4 a pint but they’re generally crap. 

Again still don’t see or been given a valid explanation as to why the brewery’s prices are OTT. 

The canned drink is crap. The proper hand drawn draught is acceptable.

21 hours ago, 2112 said:

🥱

Another policy wonk obsessed with population statistics. What is another select committee going to do? A 1000 page report packed full of meaningless nonsense and statistics will do the trick.  Stop pensioners coming to live on the island? 

The locate.im strategy certainly hasn’t worked, unless you are a new IOMG highflier. Perhaps it would be better to adopt Jersey and Guernseys approach? 

So you're complaining that the strategy is wrong and also complaining that someone is trying to discover a better strategy?

I suspect what Craine is trying to get at here is the unreliability of the Census and the other data we have and how that is used as an excuse to do what the Manx Government loves to do - go on doing exactly what they have always done, whether it is relevant or not.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lethargy said:

This is a long-held fallacy. Think about it logistically for a second - that approach simply would not work at anywhere near the scales JDW operate. They sell cheap beer because they buy it by lakeful.

They have relationships with certain brewers. They also have cut back on some brands and introduced new brands. The food is cheap and cheerful and good value for money.

55 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

So you're complaining that the strategy is wrong and also complaining that someone is trying to discover a better strategy?

I suspect what Craine is trying to get at here is the unreliability of the Census and the other data we have and how that is used as an excuse to do what the Manx Government loves to do - go on doing exactly what they have always done, whether it is relevant or not.

Does Craine want the census to be re-run, and if so would the statistics be any different? I just think it’s clutching at straws, he may be an ‘expert’ but the ‘experts’ have made a complete mess of things. Another select committee will come up with ideas and recommendations but IOMG will take no notice.

• Like 1

The new standing committee will conclude that an initiative is required to make secure, sustainable, vibrant IOM more family friendly, but - as on most other things - there will be much talk and little actually achieved

Tynwald is a place where good intentions go to die

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SleepyJoe said:

The new standing committee will conclude that an initiative is required to make secure, sustainable, vibrant IOM more family friendly, but - as on most other things - there will be much talk and little actually achieved

Tynwald is a place where good intentions go to die

locate.im was the big initiative but it has failed, cost the taxpayers and only benefited big knob civil servants moving to the island. 

12 hours ago, finlo said:

As I've said previously we'd all love to know!

You're making no sense whatsoever here.

People are stating the brewery's prices are more than they should be.

When I ask people to provide specific examples, other than putting out there some poor drinks (not that all of the brewery's are good just to be clear) with prices in some places, or completely avoiding the question (like you are trying to) they can't.

My point on this is that people are simply saying the prices are too expensive today without any justification. 

Are they more expensive than before? Yes. But just about everything is, that's inflation.

If you can provide a sensible example I'm happy to debate it with you. Not so if you just keep posting one liners which don't further the discussion.

8 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

You're making no sense whatsoever here.

People are stating the brewery's prices are more than they should be.

When I ask people to provide specific examples, other than putting out there some poor drinks (not that all of the brewery's are good just to be clear) with prices in some places, or completely avoiding the question (like you are trying to) they can't.

My point on this is that people are simply saying the prices are too expensive today without any justification. 

Are they more expensive than before? Yes. But just about everything is, that's inflation.

If you can provide a sensible example I'm happy to debate it with you. Not so if you just keep posting one liners which don't further the discussion.

It's been their business MO for years less people go out so jack the price up to maintain the bottom line so even less go out so jack the price up again rinse and repeat it's a race to the bottom.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, finlo said:

It's been their business MO for years less people go out so jack the price up to maintain the bottom line so even less go out so jack the price up again rinse and repeat it's a race to the bottom.

.....but you can't provide proof or evidence of this? Just what you think?

As I said I'm not here to defend them, however I think most of their pricing is in line with inflation. They may be taking the piss on certain items, I'm not certain. But those I have a knowledge of are pretty much in line with the market.

It seem to be a common perception here and a large percentage of people believe it, but when questioned can never actually back it up.

Edited by jackwhite

21 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

.....but you can't provide proof or evidence of this? Just what you think?

As I said I'm not here to defend them, however I think most of their pricing is in line with inflation. They may be taking the piss on certain items, I'm not certain. But those I have a knowledge of are pretty much in line with the market.

It seem to be a common perception here and a large percentage of people believe it, but when questioned can never actually back it up.

How much would you be prepared to pay for say, a pint of best bitter with ABV 3.2 to 3.6?