Hospitality Visas

50 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

How much would you be prepared to pay for say, a pint of best bitter with ABV 3.2 to 3.6?

I think it depends.

Who's making it? What is the quality? 

If we're talking McEwans (which I wouldn't drink) then your costing is about right and what I'd expect. I'm also not really a bitter drinker although tried one by a brewery I like who brewed it as a one off. It was really nice but was in a can. Think it was around £4 from memory although that was last year so not sure on the accuracy.

I'm not knocking what you paid or what you drink Andy (well maybe gently but I'm only teasing).

In terms of cask itself, I think it's ridiculously underpriced but believe the likes of CAMRA and price 'expectations' are what's driven this. It's also why a lot of places won't stock it. Cheaper systems available to put in and not the same hassle to store. In an ideal world (for me and breweries probably)people would be prepared to pay a premium for a quality cask product. It's never going to happen though as most cask drinkers wouldn't pay it.

I'm probably the wrong person to ask how much I'd pay. Dependent on the drink I've paid considerable sums for small amounts of it.

4 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

I think it depends.

Who's making it? What is the quality? 

If we're talking McEwans (which I wouldn't drink) then your costing is about right and what I'd expect. I'm also not really a bitter drinker although tried one by a brewery I like who brewed it as a one off. It was really nice but was in a can. Think it was around £4 from memory although that was last year so not sure on the accuracy.

I'm not knocking what you paid or what you drink Andy (well maybe gently but I'm only teasing).

In terms of cask itself, I think it's ridiculously underpriced but believe the likes of CAMRA and price 'expectations' are what's driven this. It's also why a lot of places won't stock it. Cheaper systems available to put in and not the same hassle to store. In an ideal world (for me and breweries probably)people would be prepared to pay a premium for a quality cask product. It's never going to happen though as most cask drinkers wouldn't pay it.

I'm probably the wrong person to ask how much I'd pay. Dependent on the drink I've paid considerable sums for small amounts of it.

I rest my case.

We all have different tastes and almost certainly different budgets to meet those tastes.

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

I rest my case.

We all have different tastes and almost certainly different budgets to meet those tastes.

That's not the point I'm making.

I get what you're saying. It still doesn't confirm that the brewery are overcharging. 

Unless there is a specific product they are selling which is widely available across the UK at a cheaper price (not in isolated pubs/areas) then it says to me their pricing is dictated by the market in the main. As I said there are people in the industry

Edited by jackwhite

53 minutes ago, finlo said:

Exactly, a lack of meaningful competition.

No. 

There are ways of not going through the brewery for the product but it's the path of least resistance.

However even any pub that does will still have to charge roughly the same or more for a pint of Carling, as that is what they can buy it for.

You keep throwing out these one line comments about it, as if you're making a point, but they're saying nothing and certainly not furthering or strengthening your argument. It's all based on your opinion and, truthfully, it sounds like you don't actually know anything about it.

2 hours ago, jackwhite said:

That's not the point I'm making.

I get what you're saying. It still doesn't confirm that the brewery are overcharging. 

Unless there is a specific product they are selling which is widely available across the UK at a cheaper price (not in isolated pubs/areas) then it says to me their pricing is dictated by the market in the main. As I said there are people in the industry

Well okells bitter which is brewed by the brewery can be bought cheaper in free houses which is ridiculous & shows they are charging too much. Bitter per pint was 40p cheaper in thirsty pigeon than prospect which is 200 yards away & cheaper still in Albert 

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Well okells bitter which is brewed by the brewery can be bought cheaper in free houses which is ridiculous & shows they are charging too much. Bitter per pint was 40p cheaper in thirsty pigeon than prospect which is 200 yards away & cheaper still in Albert 

As I said, I can't speak for every product but that's a fair point then if that's the case.

Obviously as they make it they should be the cheapest. 

Still don't believe their other products (Carling for example being referenced or spirits etc) are that different than anywhere else. 

The issue is that people seem to think that a pub could set up here and undercut the brewery. It would be madness to try (other than in the example you gave) as they'd quickly be out of business.

2 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

As I said, I can't speak for every product but that's a fair point then if that's the case.

Obviously as they make it they should be the cheapest. 

Still don't believe their other products (Carling for example being referenced or spirits etc) are that different than anywhere else. 

The issue is that people seem to think that a pub could set up here and undercut the brewery. It would be madness to try (other than in the example you gave) as they'd quickly be out of business.

Never been to a free house then?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, finlo said:

Never been to a free house then?

Yes I have.

They also have to make a profit on Carling. Hence why their prices for the stuff will be broadly similar to the brewery.

Do you just like to make single line comments to make it appear you know what you’re talking about when you clearly have no idea? You’ve evidenced this having been asked several times to prove the point yet have still failed to.

The "Public House" is a dying business model, has been for many years.

You can have a place that serves alcohol, food and no alcoholic drinks but, which depending on the local demographics, may or may not be viable.

The world moves on, Disco was a thing in the 70s, then Night Clubs in the 80s, 90s now its all social media and sending Dick pics.

If you have a Dick Pic please send it to me care of  jason.moorehen@mhk.co.usa 🙂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jackwhite said:

Yes I have.

They also have to make a profit on Carling. Hence why their prices for the stuff will be broadly similar to the brewery.

Do you just like to make single line comments to make it appear you know what you’re talking about when you clearly have no idea? You’ve evidenced this having been asked several times to prove the point yet have still failed to.

He's right though.

A pint of anything is cheaper in the Sidings than it is in the Union/George/Gluepot.

A pint in The Bay is cheaper than the Haven.

It's been a long time since I've been drinking in Douglas, but a pint in the Rovers was always cheaper than any H&B pub. I would expect the pattern to be repeated in Ramsey or Peel or Laxey.

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

He's right though.

A pint of anything is cheaper in the Sidings than it is in the Union/George/Gluepot.

A pint in The Bay is cheaper than the Haven.

It's been a long time since I've been drinking in Douglas, but a pint in the Rovers was always cheaper than any H&B pub. I would expect the pattern to be repeated in Ramsey or Peel or Laxey.

He’s actually not. 

We’re talking about comparable products. Rovers don’t sell the same beers they do in brewery pubs. 

we’re not talking the cheapest pint. That depends on the cost price of the beer. 

1 minute ago, jackwhite said:

We’re talking about comparable products. Rovers don’t sell the same beers they do in brewery pubs. 

The Rovers sell a locally produced bitter, and variations of, just like H&B with their offerings, including the delicious MPA. They also sell Guinness. bet that's about 50p a pint cheaper. 

25 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

The Rovers sell a locally produced bitter, and variations of, just like H&B with their offerings, including the delicious MPA. They also sell Guinness. bet that's about 50p a pint cheaper. 

Indeed, and Carling in usually around 50p cheaper in free houses despite having purchased it from H&B with their margin.

Obviously excluding pretentious venues such as 1886 Et Al.

Edited by finlo