Hospitality Visas

13 hours ago, quilp said:

How many refugees do you think are gonna come, if any? Not a lot, imo.

Joney Faragher MHK Douglas East is pushing a motion through Tynpotwald for the island to accept refugees. No doubt this will get approved as CM Alfie is intent on aping everything that the UK does and it will be by way of apologising for successive governments actions of accepting Russian Oligarchs using the IOM using Manx CSPs to register ships, super yachts, aircraft and helicopters. Not forgetting the CSPs who use the IOM to set up shell companies. However, if many do work their way here, be prepared for the usual suspects on IOMNP who will be frothing at the mouth, if the refugees get medical attention, benefits etc whilst they are denied or awaiting treatment. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 2112 said:

many of the UKs leading firms like Tesco and M’&S are wanting Ukrainian labour.

That's a plan. Whenever a big company is short of cheap labour, it can start a war somewhere. (i.e. I don't think that big companies should being using a war to solve the problem of them not being willing to pay reasonable wages)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Two-lane said:

That's a plan. Whenever a big company is short of cheap labour, it can start a war somewhere. (i.e. I don't think that big companies should being using a war to solve the problem of them not being willing to pay reasonable wages)

But its so not a issue of paying 'reasonable' wages. There is not enough people in the market place period. We have a problem over here which will for sure rear its head very shortly as TT time looms. Most of the decent employers in service industry are already well above minimum wage  to get and keep good staff. Bushey , Pit stop at grandstand and many other operations are not going to be able to get enough staff I'm sure. I think 1886 are still 100 plus short for TT time despite advertising for along time .

17 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Paul Craine MLC is requesting that Tynwald form a committee

image.png.42cf44be798dd54b09478e063b8d9b83.png

H&B's pricing policy has killed off nightlife over the last 30 odd years so all the young ones have to bugger off across to get the sort of nightlife we once enjoyed!

1 hour ago, SleepyJoe said:

Paul Craine MLC is requesting that Tynwald form a committee

image.png.42cf44be798dd54b09478e063b8d9b83.png

🥱 

Another policy wonk obsessed with population statistics. What is another select committee going to do? A 1000 page report packed full of meaningless nonsense and statistics will do the trick.  Stop pensioners coming to live on the island? 

The locate.im strategy certainly hasn’t worked, unless you are a new IOMG highflier. Perhaps it would be better to adopt Jersey and Guernseys approach? 

1 hour ago, finlo said:

H&B's pricing policy has killed off nightlife over the last 30 odd years so all the young ones have to bugger off across to get the sort of nightlife we once enjoyed!

I don’t think they are interested, their other businesses and UK businesses are probably making money. I think they would rather sell the pubs to turn into housing developments. 

7 hours ago, Two-lane said:

The UK immigration minister commented that Ukrainian refugees could always harvest vegetables and fruit, as the UK was in dire need of foreign labour.

I can our politicos and civil servants milking refugees to the island, and island businesses won’t refuse new labour at minimum wage (if wage rate were higher then the costs would be passed on to the consumer - cue the whinging by people at having to pay more). However it will bring additional taxes and increase NI, and will help to pay for more civil servants. Not forgetting the additional spending within the retail sector. 

Edited by 2112

3 hours ago, 2112 said:

I don’t think they are interested, their other businesses and UK businesses are probably making money. I think they would rather sell the pubs to turn into housing developments. 

I don't think they are making money at al I predict the Brewery (Okells ) will shut this year and H+B shortly after