Hospitality Visas

16 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

The Rovers sell a locally produced bitter, and variations of, just like H&B with their offerings, including the delicious MPA. They also sell Guinness. bet that's about 50p a pint cheaper. 

You’re not comparing like for like. 

How can you compare the price of something if they’re not exactly the same product? 

m&s and Tesco sell apples, they’re not the same apple and base cost!

32 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

You’re not comparing like for like. 

How can you compare the price of something if they’re not exactly the same product? 

m&s and Tesco sell apples, they’re not the same apple and base cost!

Are you the ghost of Eddie Ardern?

Edited by finlo
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, finlo said:

Indeed, and Carling in usually around 50p cheaper in free houses despite having purchased it from H&B.

10 minutes ago, finlo said:

Indeed, and Carling in usually around 50p cheaper in free houses despite having purchased it from H&B.

11 minutes ago, finlo said:

So these  places are selling carling at £4.00? (It’s £4.50 in brewery pubs).

That’s cheaper than thirsty pigeon. 

Surely an event such as the Cheltenham festival will be charging absolutely top whack and then some more for drinks?

That those prices at that sort of event are comparable to those in local pubs on a rock in the middle of nowhere which are supplied by essentially a monopoly concern, pretty much proves the point.

A couple of years back the ex-publican of the Trafalgar in Ramsey (free house) used to buy his Carling lager from H&B. Even with a decent mark-up to make it worth his while he was still able to sell it at 40p per pint less than H&B were selling it in their own Houses at the time.

4 hours ago, madmanx90 said:

This is the price list from Cheltenham races the price of a pint across the UK is compatible on average to local pubs. 

I don't know how long it's been since you've been drinking in local pubs across the UK, but I can confirm (and I am very scrupulous about conducting my own research… hic…) that those prices are miles higher than general pub prices. The poster above me is absolutely correct - festivals and events always charge fortunes for shite booze in paper cups because they're a captive market. There's a reason why fake handbags/bumbags etc that have refillable booze bladders in them are so popular come festival season…

• Thanks 1

Have to agree that events like Cheltenham are not actually comparable. Again we're not comparing like for like.

I would have to have a look at the prices around the island (I honestly don't drink in enough of these types of pubs - no offence but they're not for me) but I'd be surprised if a number of them are 50p less than the brewery for Guinness and Carling. 

It's a common myth that pubs in general (not just brewery pubs) are overcharging. They're not it's just that the cost of getting the beer is always increasing. They only have one option to survive, which is to pass it onto the customer.

If you're any doubt have a chat with your local publican and see what kind of wholesale prices they pay for a pint. 

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Surely an event such as the Cheltenham festival will be charging absolutely top whack and then some more for drinks?

That those prices at that sort of event are comparable to those in local pubs on a rock in the middle of nowhere which are supplied by essentially a monopoly concern, pretty much proves the point.

A couple of years back the ex-publican of the Trafalgar in Ramsey (free house) used to buy his Carling lager from H&B. Even with a decent mark-up to make it worth his while he was still able to sell it at 40p per pint less than H&B were selling it in their own Houses at the time.

I think it's possible on certain drinks on a one off basis. Like I said, I'm not saying it's impossible.

The instance you give (I assume we're talking about an ex radio presenter) is a conscious choice to accept a smaller profit margin. Again that's down to individual choice but I'm sure everything else in his bar was comparable. Again he's having to accept a lower margin, it's not that he's able to get it any cheaper.

You'll probably find the mark up on most items is somewhere between 40-60%. Sounds a lot but when you factor in things like commercial rents, wages and all other overheads, it doesn't actually leave a lot of return.

Ellan Vannin (free house in Ramsey). Carling lager £3.70 per pint. Vs £4.50+ in any brewery pub. That's a current price too. I can't quote current figures for Guinness but I do know that recently there was also a huge differential between free house and brewery prices.

There is making a living and there is taking the piss; H&B fall firmly into the latter category and have been there as long as I can remember.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Ellan Vannin (free house in Ramsey). Carling lager £3.70 per pint. Vs £4.50+ in any brewery pub. That's a current price too. I can't quote current figures for Guinness but I do know that recently there was also a huge differential between free house and brewery prices.

There is making a living and there is taking the piss; H&B fall firmly into the latter category and have been there as long as I can remember.

Which pub in Ramsey is that? 

27 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

As I said, there will be isolated cases where places are cheaper than the brewery. 

Most places are £4.50 +, so does that make them rip offs too?

17 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Funny the UK is going the other way when it comes to wages. Thanks for that £15M furlough money UKG. But you’re all now out on your ass unless you sign new contracts to work for bugger all

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-60779001

From the link posted above...

Screenshot_20220317-162649_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1