Manx petrol amongst cheapest in British Isles

AcousticallyChallenged

6 minutes ago, finlo said:

The additive in question is E10 isn't it?

Don't know - my Volvo service bod told me that Shell is more expensive than ASDA due to the additives, FWIW I'm on diesel.

51 minutes ago, finlo said:

The additive in question is E10 isn't it?

E10 isn't the additive, but the fuel mix.  According to this useful document from May from the OFT:

E10 fuel which is 90% petrol and 10% ethanol was introduced in UK forecourts in 2021.

The IOM has continued using premium petrol, which is free of ethanol. Therefore the two products are not exactly like for like. 

The OFT actually produces a regular report on fuel prices on the Island.

28 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Its a conspiracy by British Sugar to sell their crop now the government have taxed it out of fizzy pop.

The trouble with topics like this is that most information you can find is either bland and unevidenced corporate/governmental greenwash or bonkers conspiracy theories from the British press about how anything designed to deal with climate change is an Evul Plot designed to make the genitals of angry middle-aged men drop off. 

However I thought this piece from the usually reliable openDemocracy quite informative and it interesting that groups such as Greenpeace are sceptical.

5 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The trouble with topics like this is that most information you can find is either bland and unevidenced corporate/governmental greenwash or bonkers conspiracy theories from the British press about how anything designed to deal with climate change is an Evul Plot designed to make the genitals of angry middle-aged men drop off. 

However I thought this piece from the usually reliable openDemocracy quite informative and it interesting that groups such as Greenpeace are sceptical.

There's a bioethanol plant near Hull run by BP and Associated British Foods (British Sugar).

The head of British Sugar coincidentally happens to be married to a Tory MP.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Youaintseenme said:

It has since they changed to E10

But Gladys is correct. They recently went from E5 (5%) to E10. 

When we were on E5, ethanol made up about 25% of the cost of the petrol.   Now with E10 and increased gasoline costs, it is still around 25%. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

I thought I read somewhere that this E10 stuff knackers your engine due to corrosion?

It is worse than that. If left to stand, the ethanol separates from the petrol and rots any rubber parts, rusts or corrodes any exposed metal. And worst of all, gives you 15-20% (conservative estimate) worse fuel economy, meaning that you end up burning more fossil fuel for a given trip, than if there was no ethanol in there 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cambon said:

It is worse than that. If left to stand, the ethanol separates from the petrol and rots any rubber parts, rusts or corrodes any exposed metal. And worst of all, gives you 15-20% (conservative estimate) worse fuel economy, meaning that you end up burning more fossil fuel for a given trip, than if there was no ethanol in there 

I cannot believe reading this that our MHK's have not been hammering down the doors because we are being left out of these effects and the money the common purse is losing due to the cheaper fuel

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cambon said:

if e10  or ethanol based fuel comes anywhere near water ,condensation or dampness ,  it starts to breakdown and form a sludge , tell me of anyone on the isle of Man who's petrol tank  does not have some form of condensation  in it , 

thats why it does not travel by sea in tankers  and even in the EU and UK it has to be blended at the refinery  , very shortly before delivery to the forecourts ,  the ethanol content is very corrosive and will melt fuel pipes carburettor  seals and parts , given we have  a damp climate and older vehicles on our roads , I hope this fuel will not be forced upon us , and cause problems for the motorist and other petrol users 

• Like 4

Here is a thought. At the beginning of the year, petrol was about 1.45 a litre. It is now 1.84 a litre. 39 P more. The duty break takes 6p off, so in reality the difference is 45P. At the beginning of the year unleaded wholesale price was $2.45. Yesterday's close was $3.45, for 3.8 litres. That is about 20P a litre difference, not 45P. 

Just saying! 

14 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Here is a thought. At the beginning of the year, petrol was about 1.45 a litre. It is now 1.84 a litre. 39 P more. The duty break takes 6p off, so in reality the difference is 45P. At the beginning of the year unleaded wholesale price was $2.45. Yesterday's close was $3.45, for 3.8 litres. That is about 20P a litre difference, not 45P. 

Just saying! 

They've got to make hay while the sun shines!