30% increase in electricity prices

Amadeus

10 minutes ago, NoTail said:

Surely lots of small generating facilities like that and small windmills etc would at least help.

Look beyond Manx needs and at the UK market that could be supplied and in so doing create a big export for the Island.  Capital outlay could be serviced by a JV along the same lines as Hinkley Point.  The island would be an offshore nuclear power station.

7 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

The Tynwald Poverty Committee is staffed by six people, each earning in excess of £65,000 per year from the public purse IIRC?

https://www.tynwald.org.im/business/committee/POV/Pages/default.aspx

3 members and one clerk (who in her main job is the deputy clerk of tynwald). None of them are exclusively working on this committee. 

1 hour ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

https://www.tynwald.org.im/business/committee/POV/Pages/default.aspx

3 members and one clerk (who in her main job is the deputy clerk of tynwald). None of them are exclusively working on this committee. 

Thanks for the correction, I'm not suggesting that this is anybody's "only" or exclusive job - but my argument would be, where is the "lay" representation on this committee?

9 hours ago, Eris said:

Look beyond Manx needs and at the UK market that could be supplied and in so doing create a big export for the Island.  Capital outlay could be serviced by a JV along the same lines as Hinkley Point.  The island would be an offshore microscopically small and pointless nuclear power station.

8 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Thanks for the correction, I'm not suggesting that this is anybody's "only" or exclusive job - but my argument would be, where is the "lay" representation on this committee?

Tynwald Committees are made up of Tynwald Members only. They can call witnesses etc but essentially they are political in nature.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Tynwald Committees are made up of Tynwald Members only. They can call witnesses etc but essentially they are political in nature.

No Bishop? I thought he was an expert on the subject. Middle Class, better salary, nice home with the job which is heated, food and expenses allowances. 

1 minute ago, Albert Tatlock said:

For those on benefits and key meters, generally the poorer, would it not be cheaper for government to hand out cash for loading those cards/keys before the rise?

I'm all for handing out cash to those who need it, but putting loads of money on your meter before the rise won't make any difference, the meter will take it off at the rate on the day. You just put money on the key, not units.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I'm all for handing out cash to those who need it, but putting loads of money on your meter before the rise won't make any difference, the meter will take it off at the rate on the day. You just put money on the key, not units.

Surely it will buy you less credit on the key once the price rises?

• Confused 1