30% increase in electricity prices

Amadeus

53 minutes ago, WTF said:

i don't see a problem with solar , it doesn't actually need bright sunshine,  of the other two one has salt water and moving parts ( never a great option ) and the other has its own issues with blot on the landscape and moving parts.  if every house had a solar panel roof it could only be a good thing , solar panels are far more efficient than they were 10 years ago and battery storage of the electricity is also more compact and weighs less.

It will years before anything is done. I’ll be very surprised before anything happens certainly before the next election in 2026. A proposal to erect a wind farm or a solar farm, and then the objections will start, followed by the protest, culminating in a public inquiry at great expense to the taxpayers. If common sense and practicality is used over siting of these installations, then I’m sure everyone would be happy. Unfortunately we have know it alls, consultants and civil servants involved to fuck things up.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, forestboy said:

Should we send in our meter reading before 1 April?

You can send a meter reading in. I think you won't get billed on the new rate until some time off though. If there is no reading the usage is assumed to be split evenly across each billing period (ie. assuming you use the same amount of kws each day).

I don't think I will make a massive difference whether you do or don't ring in a meter reading unless you have an unusual pattern of use or are away for long periods. 

IOMG has enacted another Treasury support package costing £3million for low income and those on benefits. 

Ashie says on the NPM that he wishes that the rises on 1st April were an April Fools joke. Sadly with Ashie in COMIN some will argue that he is a joke. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, 2112 said:

IOMG has enacted another Treasury support package costing £3million for low income and those on benefits. 

Ashie says on the NPM that he wishes that the rises on 1st April were an April Fools joke. Sadly with Ashie in COMIN some will argue that he is a joke. 

They bailed businesses out for 8 million in electricity costs with no means testing.  Low income households and pensioners struggle while highly profitable datacenters get bailed out.  Sad.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

An interesting admission by Rob Callister in Keys today. He doesn’t know how much is costs to generate a unit of electricity (he’s Chairman of the MUA) but he thinks it’s about 5p.

So can he explain where all the profits are going if I’m paying 22p a unit? Which would mean by his figures they’re making 17p a unit - probably the most profitable power generator to exist anywhere in the world. 

And to think this fella thought he was ministerial material 🤣🤣

Many of the energy suppliers used to offer fixed term tariffs. Fix the price for gas and electricity for a fixed period of time. 

Also in the UK many of the suppliers offer cheaper ‘social’ rates to low income households, such as social housing and other households with pre payment meters. It’s something that IOMG could have adopted, but won’t. 

Edited by 2112

35 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Many of the energy suppliers used to offer fixed term tariffs. Fix the price for gas and electricity for a fixed period of time. 

Also in the UK many of the suppliers offer cheaper ‘social’ rates to low income households, such as social housing and other households with pre payment meters. It’s something that IOMG could have adopted, but won’t. 

We are paying £3m to subsidize low income households including those with incomes of £80k pa as long as they get child benefits!

• Like 1