30% increase in electricity prices

Amadeus

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

The boy Ashie says Government is sensitive to peoples concerns.

The Tynwald Poverty Committee is staffed by six people, each earning in excess of £65,000 per year from the public purse IIRC?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The Tynwald Poverty Committee is staffed by six people, each earning in excess of £65,000 per year from the public purse IIRC?

Doesn't seem very likely.  Tynwald Committees don't have their own staff, they just use the Tynwald staff that do all the rest of the Tynwald admin.  I've a feeling that there's only one person exclusively working for all the Committees together, including the permanent ones like PAC. 

Of course what the Cabinet Office gets up to is anyone's guess.

On 3/17/2022 at 1:59 PM, Eris said:

It isn't though.  In the UK there is a choice of supplier and were it not for the ridiculous interference of Princess Nut Nut over BoJo and the additional "green" taxes and cross production subsidy taking place the UK cost would be hugely reduced.  

There's not really much of a choice at the moment... all UK suppliers are goosed. Try using Uswitch and see what happens.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2022 at 3:50 PM, Eris said:

So let's look at a few facts.  Let's take Hinkley Point C.  Firstly it's fully financed by CGNP and EDF.  It provides enough capacity to cater for six million homes. The whole object would be to provide a nuclear generating plant that the Island would get low cost electricity as part of the license and at zero capital outlay from the island.  The cost of an interconnector upgrade to a proper interconnector would be "in the noise" and not different from existing UK interconnectors.

The costs from "dust to dust" would be around £45 billion which would be covered 100% by the licensee so no cost to the Island.  It's necessary to think beyond the borders of the Island when dealing with matters such as this.

Don't EDF buy a lot of the uranium required to power the plants from..... yes you guessed, Russia?

On 3/18/2022 at 12:29 PM, GD4ELI said:

Just been to ASDA - petrol £1.62, diesel £1.74 and we're usually about as cheap as it gets. Baton down the hatches...

Filled up yesterday, Unleaded Petrol £1.51  -  £1.55 for Super Unleaded  - and £1.54 for Diesel

Its costing me £30.00 more to fill my tank from empty than it was at the beginning of the year - £130 rather than £100

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Doesn't seem very likely.  Tynwald Committees don't have their own staff, they just use the Tynwald staff that do all the rest of the Tynwald admin.  I've a feeling that there's only one person exclusively working for all the Committees together, including the permanent ones like PAC. 

Of course what the Cabinet Office gets up to is anyone's guess.

I meant the political members Rog, to include Juan Watterson and JPW. Six MHKs/MLCs IIRC

On 3/18/2022 at 6:41 PM, SleepyJoe said:

Start building renewable energy generation capacity asap. The Sustainable Bond money is already in reserves, & presumably vulnerable to the ravages of volatile markets - get some of it spent!

I would start by banning people from wasting electricity charging their electric cars. Complete waste of electricity. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As a thought, I believe we have a hydro electric generator plant built into the Sulby Reservoir.  It used to generate substantial amounts of electricity from the freely running water from the reservoir down the Sulby River.  word has it that this is switched off and has been for some time.  Surely this would make some impact into the current price of electricity.  I found it strange that no one had made reference to it in this argument.  It generates enough electricity for 1000 homes. Maybe this could be improved/increased.

Edited by Juan C

24 minutes ago, Juan C said:

As a thought, I believe we have a hydro electric generator plant built into the Sulby Reservoir.  It used to generate substantial amounts of electricity from the freely running water from the reservoir down the Sulby River.  word has it that this is switched off and has been for some time.  Surely this would make some impact into the current price of electricity.  I found it strange that no one had made reference to it in this argument.  It generates enough electricity for 1000 homes. Maybe this could be improved/increased.

Not quite, the hydro comes from a different reservoir further down (the name escapes me) and it barely generates enough to power Sulby glen.

Actually it does take some water from the Sulby as well as Block eary but still only contributes 1%.

Edited by finlo
  • Like 1