30% increase in electricity prices

Amadeus

On 3/21/2022 at 7:35 AM, cissolt said:

But the vat paid on fuels increases with the price. 

Government are never going to take a universal approach to help households, but if we followed Ireland and Italy we would be looking to reduce duty on fuels.  I would hope they would at least crunch the numbers on the benefits to the economy and not just government coffers.

Screenshot_20220321-073133.jpg

This 11.6P bio rubbish is the difference we don't pay, and the reason we are around 10P cheaper per litre. 

14 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Brent Crude still pushing about $120.00 per barrel so they'll just use that to ramp up the prices. 

image.png.d0171bbf46b58eea8274e213afd4b035.png

But Sunak has also raised NI threshold by £3000 to 12759 giving a lot of people a good saving, pressure on Ashford to deliver something similar!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Banker said:

But Sunak has also raised NI threshold by £3000 to 12759 giving a lot of people a good saving, pressure on Ashford to deliver something similar!

Much like Hermes (other courier firms are available) I wouldn't trust Ashford to deliver an Amazon parcel, never mind a raft of economic measures to ease the cost of living crisis. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

No, it's because we're a week behind the UK in the purchase cycle. So when prices start to fall, we'll be 10p more expensive.

And I'd bet it will stay 10p more expensive for longer than it needs to as well...

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Not a prayer unless real pressure is put upon him. He will enschewer that he won’t give any more to the Manx taxpayers. He will be crying and frothing at the mouth at the thought of losing all that VAT/Fuel Duty. That money could have funded all the pie in the sky schemes, like the TT scoreboard.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Banker said:

It’s only when you move away,

You realise how little,

Tax the Manx pay.

D. Flint,  Bard.

seriously, I don’t know how they actually manage to do anything, let alone Spaff £100m on a part time terminal in another country.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

You realise how little,

Tax the Manx pay.

D. Flint,  Bard.

seriously, I don’t know how they actually manage to do anything, let alone Spaff £100m on a part time terminal in another country.

Borrowing £400m helps... like shifting household debt from one 0% credit card to another... except in IOMG case it's certainly not 0%.

It's a finely stacked house of cards but ultimately it will collapse.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

It has been about the cheapest in the UK for over 6 months, possibly 9.

How does that tie in with your theory?

Prices here are always a week or two behind the curve because of when stocks are brought in and how quickly they get sold. As the wholesale price rises it leaves us paying less than the UK, as we bought at a cheaper rate, but as the wholesale price drops it leaves us paying more than the UK as we bought at a more expensive rate. We saw this at the start of the pandemic when our price decreases were a week or two behind the UK. 

I'm not sure why this is controversial.

55 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

You realise how little,

Tax the Manx pay.

D. Flint,  Bard.

By having an extremely lucrative VAT reimbursement arrangement..?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1