30% increase in electricity prices

Amadeus

18 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Yes it is.

Well yes, but my last quote from OVO was 34p / unit, currently OVO are not publishing plans. My contract expires in June so am expecting something in the 30p+ range, maybe even 40p. So however your price is as low as stated then it's not too bad in the grand scheme of things.

7 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

More IOMG spin and bullshit. 

It really doesn’t matter and the general user won’t really give a toss, and aren’t really going to say that nice Rob Callister MHK  is really trying to keep my electricity bills down. It’s the fact that they are increasing now and in a couple of months, then another increase likely later in the year. People aren’t interested in spin and bullshit - I for one am not.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, english zloty said:

Glad I don't have an electric car, air source heat pump etc and so on.

Interesting Rob hid behind CoMin with his difficult announcement. He'll be glad he retired his blog 😂

He is offering to personally explain to his Onchan Constituents his decisions.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

It's not a question of this rise, the reasons for which are well documented - it needs to be remembered why we're paying the sort of price that we are before this rise.

Add your "Toilet Tax" on to your annual electricity bill too...

You’d, but your water rates are in your main rates. My council tax is£2500 PLUS £600 water - which will soon be sorted by the installation of a meter.

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

It’s affecting everyone, large incomes, middle incomes and no incomes. Granted some of those on benefits will be given financial help, those who work and receive lesser wages or salaries will have less money, their income will be squeezed by either rent, mortgage and utilities. Not forgetting other bills, mobile, internet and television subscription. It’s a shame that savings in other areas couldn’t have been made within IOMG to try and weather this period of turbulence.

It’s 

50 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I'm not sure what everyone expected to happen. We use pretty much 100% gas. Gas has more than doubled in price. Where do people imagine that money is going to come from.

I accept that and realise it’s been on the cards but it doesn’t mean it’s anymore palatable. The only good thing is it’s Spring and temperatures will rise. If IOMG seriously looked at its spending, it’s capital projects and other areas of wastage, genuinely try to curb or postpone these projects, then it may have taxpayers and users onside. 

IOMG and it’s paid cheerleaders witter on about increasing the population, but higher utility bills aren’t going to entice people here, especially when the electricity supplier is a monopoly and the same with the gas, where the consumer is held to ransom. In the UK at least there are choices, here it’s take it or leave it. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

I accept that and realise it’s been on the cards but it doesn’t mean it’s anymore palatable. The only good thing is it’s Spring and temperatures will rise. If IOMG seriously looked at its spending, it’s capital projects and other areas of wastage, genuinely try to curb or postpone these projects, then it may have taxpayers and users onside. 

IOMG and it’s paid cheerleaders witter on about increasing the population, but higher utility bills aren’t going to entice people here, especially when the electricity supplier is a monopoly and the same with the gas, where the consumer is held to ransom. In the UK at least there are choices, here it’s take it or leave it. 

Is the electricity and gas more expensive here at the moment? Its a genuine question?

Where in for a rough ride sadly. Remember with gas and leccie rises comes increases in infrastructure costs to consumers. Restaurants , coffee shops etc , in fact across the board really . I guess in a bizarre sort of way having struggled with ME/CFS for alot of years and having been on Incapacity I had cut my cloth accordingly. No broadband , Sky etc and heating not used so while it wont be pleasant for me its going to be very hard for lots of famlies sadly. Food bank is going to get hammererd . What really annoys me though is the total lack of saving for a rainy day by our government. All you see is adding to head count , zero attempt to work to budgets and in fact the opposite with money wasted everywear. Then we have them dipping into the reserves because of that incompetence. Balancing the books seems to be nowhere on there mandate. They are going to have to give help to lots of areas and theres still the NHS pay rise to be dealt with along with other occupations . They really need to get a firm grip on internal head counts and salaries but we all know they wont.   

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Thanks 4

26 minutes ago, english zloty said:

Glad I don't have an electric car, air source heat pump etc and so on.

Interesting Rob hid behind CoMin with his difficult announcement. He'll be glad he retired his blog 😂

why. The increase in electricity price is less than the rise in diesel/oil/gas/petrol isnt it?

10 minutes ago, asitis said:

It's not been a great thirty years for Government saving anything !

In all honesty they have and still are a complete disgrace as there has never been any attempt to save for a rainy day and in fact its been regular raids on the reserves. The head count in government of up around 9500 is total nonsense and no way can it be justified. Clearly governments policy to increase population has been used by IOMG  as a way to do that creating all sorts of posts. Ohh and Manx Care needing a futher 3.5 million is only just the start. 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Thanks 1