30% increase in electricity prices

Amadeus

13 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Where in for a rough ride sadly. Remember with gas and leccie rises comes increases in infrastructure costs to consumers. Restaurants , coffee shops etc , in fact across the board really . I guess in a bizarre sort of way having struggled with ME/CFS for alot of years and having been on Incapacity I had cut my cloth accordingly. No broadband , Sky etc and heating not used so while it wont be pleasant for me its going to be very hard for lots of famlies sadly. Food bank is going to get hammererd . What really annoys me though is the total lack of saving for a rainy day by our government. All you see is adding to head count , zero attempt to work to budgets and in fact the opposite with money wasted everywear. Then we have them dipping into the reserves because of that incompetence. Balancing the books seems to be nowhere on there mandate. They are going to have to give help to lots of areas and theres still the NHS pay rise to be dealt with along with other occupations . They really need to get a firm grip on internal head counts and salaries but we all know they wont.   

You are right. 

You do need a leadership that admits the island has serious problems, and is serious about addressing those problems. Alf and Ashie serious? 😂 I don’t believe any of other COMIN lot are any better either. I’m certainly not impressed with John Wannaburgh MHK who was touted as a ‘businessman’ so far he has failed to speak up and talk sense. 

• Like 1

MUA didn't put the price up five months ago, in the height of winter, by using reserves. So I think it's fair to highlight that.

Compare and contrast with the thieves at Ancala Partners LLP, who put the gas up by 30% in the height of winter and have now come crawling back for another 30% rise. And Callister has bent over and given it to them. The Taitinger is on Jo Cox.

As for rates, my rates in England were higher than they are here and water was then another £500 on top.

1 hour ago, GD4ELI said:

Maybe in a few years. Was hoping the Golf Links development would go ahead, would have been ideal.

Interesting link: Average Cost of Electricity per kWh in the UK 2022 | NimbleFins

Just looked at my January leccy bill. 16.9 per kWh. 30% will take it to 22p. That’s still cheaper than the averages in the table above than most places in UK. Yet still we moan.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Do we pay vat on the electricity bill?  Can't remember the last time I looked at one.   With the increase in fuel, gas and oil, is the govt in for a vat windfall?

Electric bills are 5% vat which is a lot les than European countries c 20%. There’s a large windfall from fuel prices which have fuel & vat on

49 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Just looked at my January leccy bill. 16.9 per kWh. 30% will take it to 22p. That’s still cheaper than the averages in the table above than most places in UK. Yet still we moan.

If you're on a relatively low income with a child or two these increases are going to be most unpleasant. Talking with local companies round here we're seeing increases all round. I shop at ASDA and B&Q, see prices rising every week.

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

Where in for a rough ride sadly. Remember with gas and leccie rises comes increases in infrastructure costs to consumers. Restaurants , coffee shops etc , in fact across the board really . I guess in a bizarre sort of way having struggled with ME/CFS for alot of years and having been on Incapacity I had cut my cloth accordingly. No broadband , Sky etc and heating not used so while it wont be pleasant for me its going to be very hard for lots of famlies sadly. Food bank is going to get hammererd . What really annoys me though is the total lack of saving for a rainy day by our government. All you see is adding to head count , zero attempt to work to budgets and in fact the opposite with money wasted everywear. Then we have them dipping into the reserves because of that incompetence. Balancing the books seems to be nowhere on there mandate. They are going to have to give help to lots of areas and theres still the NHS pay rise to be dealt with along with other occupations . They really need to get a firm grip on internal head counts and salaries but we all know they wont.   

This will be a major headache for restaurants/cafes etc. There is only so many times you can increase your prices before people just stop coming in. It's a clusterfuck of a situation. Food outlets will no doubt get hit with a rise in VAT to 20% which will just be another nail in the coffin.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

why. The increase in electricity price is less than the rise in diesel/oil/gas/petrol isnt it?

I had a discussion with that circus of a department OFT a few years ago about fuel prices. My query was why diesel suddenly became more expensive than unleaded. The lame excuse came back that it was down to the way diesel was "manufactured". Back end of last year and the first couple of months this year, diesel was cheaper than unleaded. Now it is more expensive. Make of that what you will. OFT = Clueless bunch of oxygen thieves

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

What they pay in the UK means nothing to people living on the island. UK residents can shop around for cheaper food etc which can and will help absorb any increases in utility prices. We on the Island cannot

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

What they pay in the UK means nothing to people living on the island. UK residents can shop around for cheaper food etc which can and will help absorb any increases in utility prices. We on the Island cannot

All food prices are increasing, even ALDI and LIDL. Not everyone has easy access to multiple stores.

Not normally one to respond on these forums i'm a long time lurker but this is something thats got my goat enough that i feel i need to comment.
Unless i have missed something (which is entirely possible...) its not a 30% increase but a 32.25% increase just being introduced in a sneaky way.

15% increase next month followed by another 15% increase in July will result in 32.25% overall.

£100 x 1.15 = £115
£115 x 1.15 = £132.25

If they need 32.25% just tell us and don't try to hide the increase with sneaky mathematics......