30% increase in electricity prices

Amadeus

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

you can't work that out for yourself?

No I certainly can't. Stuff has always been more expensive here. I always assumed that is because we are 60 miles off shore in the middle of the sea. There is never going to be a big choice because we are only 80,000 souls. Why do you think Electricity and Gas should be cheaper to compensate?

1 hour ago, Eris said:

Go nuclear and sell excess production to UK.

That's a Ok idea when you have a few hundred million pounds to spare

1 hour ago, Eris said:

Put a licence out to tender with the winner to build and run with a deal that includes a %age of generated power as license servicing.  Look on it as a joint venture as is commonly the basis of such developments BUT engage a competent contract negotiation firm because it has been obvious for many decades that there is no such competence anywhere within your government or civil service. However the whole gas farrago is disgusting from start to finish.

That just spreads the hundred of millions over a period. It still has to be paid one way or another.

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Well if the monopoly is bringing cheaper prices than UK how is it a ripoff?

It isn't though.  In the UK there is a choice of supplier and were it not for the ridiculous interference of Princess Nut Nut over BoJo and the additional "green" taxes and cross production subsidy taking place the UK cost would be hugely reduced.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

21 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

That's a Ok idea when you have a few hundred million pounds to spare

That just spreads the hundred of millions over a period. It still has to be paid one way or another.

It is paid for by the investor selling excess production to the UK national Grid in the same way that the Northern France nuclear generators takes place today and has been taking place for decades.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

No I certainly can't. Stuff has always been more expensive here. I always assumed that is because we are 60 miles off shore in the middle of the sea. There is never going to be a big choice because we are only 80,000 souls. Why do you think Electricity and Gas should be cheaper to compensate?

That's not what I said...

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

The MUA won't, as far as I can see, be using reserves to subsidise electricity prices going forwards. Therefore the new tariff will be what it costs them to purchase or produce the electricity.

Therefore 30% rises for MUA and 30% for MG seem reasonable. Wholesale prices have gone up a lot since the summer.

MG haven't been selling gas at a loss, that is why their tariff went up. Wholesale gas prices today are 265p/therm, lower than they were in December, although the market is volatile.

MG haven't been making profit, hence Cox and Ancala Partners LLP bitching about their 10% profit. But, you know what, there's a cost of living crisis and we all need to make sacrifices. Sadly it seems that, as always, it's us plebs who get to make the sacrifice and the hedge funders who get to guzzle the cream.

ETA UK suppliers went bust because of the UK's idiotic market structure. Suppliers signing new customers up on cheap tariffs the companies had no way of affording.  The reason why they hated the price cap is because they previously rinsed those who couldn't/wouldn't/didn't switch (often elderly and vulnerable people) to offset the cheap tariffs. They should have stopped the cheap tariffs, but they didn't because of a desperation to grab market share.

No, that isn't correct - even with applying a 30% increase the MUA will have absorb some significant costs to shield customers in 2022/23, but the final figure will be based on natural gas market rate over the next 12 months….

Edited by Rob Callister
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Banker said:

Just go to a UK energy website & get a quote!! Plus UK posters on here plus family in UK !! Easy to find out!

You're the one who's so sure that everybody in the UK is paying more than we are for electricity, please back up your claim.

Please also factor in what Manx residents are paying in "Sewage Charge" on top of their electricity prices.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

You're the one who's so sure that everybody in the UK is paying more than we are for electricity, please back up your claim.

Please also factor in what Manx residents are paying in "Sewage Charge" on top of their electricity prices.

They have been paying Sewage charges in the UK for about 70 years....at least.

1 hour ago, Eris said:

It is paid for by the investor selling excess production to the UK national Grid in the same way that the Northern France nuclear generators takes place today and has been taking place for decades.

Yes I see that, but they still have to recoup the cost. Yes some can recouped by selling electricity back the UK but to do that you would need an oversized reactor with extra capacity that would cost more (offsetting any gain) and you couldn't get much electricity down our tiddly little inter-connector so it would take a lot of time to pay off hundreds of millions of pounds. Investors are not stupid. Like Manx Gas, they are only ever in it to make money.

I wouldn't be holding my breath on that one.

3 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

They have been paying Sewage charges in the UK for about 70 years....at least.

But not for the same reasons that we are.

• Like 1