Fatal Hit & Run

Amadeus

Police are appealing for witnesses after a 73 year old woman was killed by a hit-and-run driver in Douglas.

The woman was discovered in the road in Marathon Avenue just after 7am this morning.

Officers say she was struck by a vehicle which failed to stop.

Nearby roads were closed as police investigated but have now been opened, although Marathon Avenue remains shut.

Police say they want to hear from you if you were in Marathon Avenue or neighbouring streets between 1am and 7.30am.

There’s also an appeal to report any vehicle which has sustained damage overnight.

And police say they want to appeal directly to the conscience of the driver involved – sayng they should do the right thing and come forward.

• Sad 6

35 minutes ago, Mysteron said:

The location is a cul-de-sac I think, and not a through road.  

You wouldn't think anyone could work up enough speed to seriously hurt someone there, but just being knocked off your feet can be fatal. The driver may not even know that she was touched? Very sad indeed.

1 hour ago, Mysteron said:

The location is a cul-de-sac I think, and not a through road.  

you can get out the bottom end into the back lane that comes out opposite DB autos and up onto lower dukes road , it is labelled as marathon road on google maps but i'm not sure thats what it really is.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, WTF said:

you can get out the bottom end into the back lane that comes out opposite DB autos and up onto lower dukes road , it is labelled as marathon road on google maps but i'm not sure thats what it really is.

It's a bit odd because the Government's own mapping doesn't a cut through there, though Google Maps and the satellite photography make it clear there is a lane.  But Marathon Avenue isn't the sort of place you could imagine anyone speeding along.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's a bit odd because the Government's own mapping doesn't a cut through there, though Google Maps and the satellite photography make it clear there is a lane.  But Marathon Avenue isn't the sort of place you could imagine anyone speeding along.

taxi driver ?  they don't dawdle in the early hours, time is money.

2 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I'd be wondering if someone had died of natural causes a lot earlier (3hrs) and then maybe been unnwittingly damaged by a vehicle?

Yes, there are a couple of residential/nursing homes there.  Just so sad.