Fatal Hit & Run

Amadeus

16 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Do you mean he retired, and drew his pension?

The official version might have been that , although he wasnt close to retirement , but reality I think the story was very different. Enough said .

Edited by Numbnuts

7 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

The official version might have been that , although he wasnt close to retirement , but reality I think the story was very different. Enough said .

Do you want to drop me a line as to who you are talking about. It was 20 years ago and I can’t remember the details.

3 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

That's the problem about that old case, the police still dont even think what they did was that bad. 

One officer got over a million quid from it, though he might have been the whistleblower. 

I think you’re mixing up the travel expenses case, which involved the same junior officer as the illegal bugging and dragged in a senior officer who was treated very badly and unfairly and took civil proceedings.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I think you’re mixing up the travel expenses case, which involved the same junior officer as the illegal bugging and dragged in a senior officer who was treated very badly and unfairly and took civil proceedings.

Almost everything about this forum is comical - satire at its' best. Ir at least would be if there was anything comical about it. Particularly your so-called moderation.

One of the few honest and honourable Manx advocates had the courage to investigate and challenge the appallingly corrupt 'police station bugging case'. David Sherlock eventually proved interview rooms had ben 'bugged' allowing police to listen to legally privileged conversations between suspects and their advocates, thereby often fatally compromising their defence. A truly outrageous occurrence but not unexpected in a jurisdiction as corrupt as the Isle of Man.

Whilst the police may well have been able to avoid universal blame it is laughable to suggest it was the work of 'one bad apple' - it was a professional 'bugging' set-up that would have been a conspiracy to have implemented. David was unable to prove how long it had been going on but suspected it had been for a long time, possibly years.

He was subsequently hounded by the Manx police force generally, almost to his death.

Mr Wright - you are an apologist for this corrupt system, which very much continues..

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

I’ve a humorous story about the police. Whilst in the middle of the pandemic, a woman got a knock at the door and it was the police. They asked to come in, so obviously they were let in. The woman had been told that months before a very large sum of money had been sent though one of our post offices and the sender address was used was hers. She was made to feel a suspect asked a lot of questions and they wanted her finger prints. So she gave them as she had nothing to hide. So she was told it would take a number of weeks to get the prints back and she would here back. So the woman said ok BUT are you telling me that there could be a big drug dealer out there that could of come to my house looking for their thousands of pounds and you didn’t inform me for months or offer any protection. The attitude changed then that they didn’t think it was her that sent the money and anyone when sending money that  wasn’t delivered to the forwarding do not go looking for it, they see it as a loss. She was also told that the delay in getting around to the case was due to covid. Even though we hadn’t had any cases in the community  for 7 months. A while later the woman was sick and there was a knock at the door again and a family member answered and they wanted the finger prints again as the officer that did them the first time did it wrong and they were smudged. So the officer was told that she was sick in bed ( waiting for hospital)They then wanted to come up to the ladies bedroom to get finger prints, she said no it’s my bedroom and I’m not well. Come back when I’m better. They then had the audacity to then say to her it will only take a minute and if not done now it will be too late, like it was her fault. She refused saying if the mad drug dealer turns up looking for their money she will sure to let them know. 

I am going to take things that didn't happen for 10 please 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Do you want to drop me a line as to who you are talking about. It was 20 years ago and I can’t remember the details.

No , sorry Derek I wont as have said enough tbh. And to be honest I'm amazed that you dont remember details and those involved . As a senior officer at the time and your ability to remember other issues from much further back its a little surprising . Surely there wasn't that many major misdemeanors carried out by senior officers back in the day ??.  

51 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

No , sorry Derek I wont as have said enough tbh. And to be honest I'm amazed that you dont remember details and those involved . As a senior officer at the time and your ability to remember other issues from much further back its a little surprising . Surely there wasn't that many major misdemeanors carried out by senior officers back in the day ??.  

Move on son, nothing to see hear...

5 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

I was a PC at the time. I wasn't connected to or involved in the investigation and I don't recall anyone from Laxey being 'paid off'

Hope that helps. Clearly you are only speculating in any case.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I was a PC at the time. I wasn't connected to or involved in the investigation and I don't recall anyone from Laxey being 'paid off'

Hope that helps. Clearly you are only speculating in any case.

You are totally wrong about me speculating but its fine you think that. I know a guy involved but I will leave it at that . And are you sure you were a PC at the time ? 

Edited by Numbnuts

6 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

You are totally wrong about me speculating but its fine you think that. I know a guy involved but I will leave it at that . And are you sure you were a PC at the time ? 

Yes. I transferred in 1998 and had my first promotion in 2002 to a temp rank. I was made inspector in 2005. Career sort of plateaued at that point!

Having read John’s interjection, it has joined some dots. 

The ‘bugging of interview rooms was done for legitimate purposes - downstream monitoring where another detective could listen in to provide real time analysis against a wider view. The flaw in that was at the time the practice was to have suspects take legal advice in the same room, so the clear and absolutely correct inference was that that privileged advice could be listened in to. It was the reason that when the new custody suite was designed there were specific rooms which had no cameras or audio monitoring in so that advocates could give counsel with confidence that they were not overheard. There were enhanced panic alarms in there too to provide safety. We actually even provided a separate advocates office so they could keep their library in there.

The case that led up to this was I think I am correct in was the expenses offences. A supervisor was also arrested. There were procedures that were basically in breach of surveillance legislation and his human rights were seriously compromised. He quite correctly challenged these serious breaches and just like a member of the public he received reparation. He left with his reputation intact. The level of compensation was never made Public to my recollection.

The officer subject of the core issue was convicted and went to jail. He died a few years ago.

The ‘bugging’ issue came about as a result of the Chief, Mike Culverhouse asking whether innthe light of his nefarious activities was there anything that might even come close to undermining the prosecution or reputation of the force if the officer brought it to light? It was under his leadership that the force started to address some of its skeletons in closets.

and it was a long time ago, but as I was lecturing about today, the damage done lingers a long time. Orgreave, Brixton, Hillsborough. And of course, Douglas.