Fatal Hit & Run

Amadeus

1 hour ago, quilp said:

A fine case for rhe death penalty if ever there was one.

The world would be a better place with fewer rapists, nonces and murderers 

10 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

A fine case for rhe death penalty if ever there was one.

The world would be a better place with fewer rapists, nonces and murderers 

Don’t believe all you read in the press, is all I can say. It’s actually a really good example as to why we shouldn’t have the death penalty.

I didn’t act for Teare, but I saw the witness statements, the photos and read the pathologists report.

im not being an apologist, but I think there’s a lot more ( and different ) than in those reports or than came out in trials.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Don’t believe all you read in the press, is all I can say. It’s actually a really good example as to why we shouldn’t have the death penalty.

I didn’t act for Teare, but I saw the witness statements, the photos and read the pathologists report.

im not being an apologist, but I think there’s a lot more ( and different ) than in those reports or than came out in trials.

Fair enough John, I respect your view on that. 

There are certainly other cases where the death penalty would benefit society. We should also have a hardline prison to properly deal with criminals with life meaning life. 

Until you're falsely accused of murder - then your perspective might change.

In America where some states still have the death penalty I read recently that the leading cause of death on death row is old age. By the time they've gone through all the various appeals etc most of them have died anyway.

I don't think punishment should be about vengeance, but more of an opportunity for rehabilitation - with a bit of deterrent thrown in for good measure. Can the legal system always produce a verdict sure enough to decide whether someone lives or dies? 

• Like 3

Apologies if I've missed it in the previous 15 pages, but was it confirmed that the death of the 73 yr old woman (that started this thread off 6 months ago) was as a result of a hit and run?

If so, has anybody been charged with anything?

[Edit:  Ah I see somebody seems to have been arrested and charged and JW has asked people not to comment further.  A proper use of "sub judice" as opposed to the more common Tynwald version]

Edited by Ghost Ship
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Ghost Ship said:

Apologies if I've missed it in the previous 15 pages, but was it confirmed that the death of the 73 yr old woman (that started this thread off 6 months ago) was as a result of a hit and run?

[Edit:  Ah I see somebody seems to have been arrested and charged and JW has asked people not to comment further.  A proper use of "sub judice" as opposed to the more common Tynwald version]

No longer sub judice, he is sub Jurby. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

15 hours ago, quilp said:

Jesus, can you imagine being Pierrepoint's teacher?  At 12 he wrote an essay stating he wanted to be the state executioner like his Dad.  That would be an interesting parent's evening! 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Ghost Ship said:

In the end pleaded guilty got about 3 years