Fatal Hit & Run

Amadeus

22 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

Very sad and tragic for the lady and her family. The island is not what it once was and maybe more CTV and speed cameras are needed. I’ve seen the police are now looking for camera footage around the Pulrose area. I have to say the police worked really well and fast to arrest people. But I feel they have been let down.  It must be so hard for the family. 

Agree.

There shouldn’t be a need for CCTV but times have changed, so have the scrotes and real down right bad un’s. Look at the newspaper and you will see time and time again, left off with probation, a fine which the taxpayers pay through benefits. Some are not employable so will be on benefits for eternity. If someone wants to speed they will, no amount of signs will change that - speed cameras might and eventually a ban might change behaviour. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Agree.

There shouldn’t be a need for CCTV but times have changed, so have the scrotes and real down right bad un’s. Look at the newspaper and you will see time and time again, left off with probation, a fine which the taxpayers pay through benefits. Some are not employable so will be on benefits for eternity. If someone wants to speed they will, no amount of signs will change that - speed cameras might and eventually a ban might change behaviour. 

Sadly, that hasn't worked...

1 hour ago, Manx17 said:

Very sad and tragic for the lady and her family. The island is not what it once was and maybe more CTV and speed cameras are needed. I’ve seen the police are now looking for camera footage around the Pulrose area. I have to say the police worked really well and fast to arrest people. But I feel they have been let down.  It must be so hard for the family. 

Really?

In 1981 a young man down south was hit by a car between Ballakillowey and Ballafesson. And dragged much of the way apparently. Hit and run. No one was ever charged. (oh, and if you know anything about this, the Manx rumour mill was wrong, but that is by the way).

Not so long ago a neighbour was sitting in the front room when the window was shattered as a coach wing mirror came crashing through it. The coach had just hit some nearby scaffolding. The (professional) driver carried on. He was luckily found but said he didn't notice anything, despite one hell of a bang and driving all the way to Castletown from Douglas with no nearside mirror. No charge.

Yep, the island is er, not what it was. 

Edited by AOR
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Manx17 said:

The Isle of Man has not changed. Road safety isn’t markedly improving due to a decision to do nothing meaningful with the road safety strategy.

mark Newey is good SIO. I have every confidence he will solve this.

6 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

The Isle of Man has not changed. Road safety isn’t markedly improving due to a decision to do nothing meaningful with the road safety strategy.

Road safety is not a thing here Derek as you well know. I canont for the life of me understand why the local politicos don't push it but they must be getting leaned on by the CS/ PS? 

There are bugger all speed traps and blatantly obvious places (Or as were known and signed as Accident Black Spots)  where a speed limit would help are farmed out to UK consultants to do reports but no speed limits are introduced.

The islands roads are as near Mad Max as it it possible to be without the Mohican hairstyle.

Edited by Boris Johnson
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Crime of the century 😂

Could well have been. And a near miss for a shard of double glazing through my neighbour's head, who was sat on the settee under the window.

And the driver didn't even stop to check what damage he had  caused.

Oh, and you don't happen to have been a particular car driver down south do you, 40 years ago. Your attitude sounds like the type.

Edited by AOR
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

My guess would be that a member of the public called this in. Ordinarily, plod on the island couldn't find their arse cheeks with both hands.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

What attitude is that? The fact I don’t get totally bent out of shape about a broken window over 10 years ago like it should be something constantly repeated on Crimewatch?

Your attitude is defensive, and you're using ridiculous exaggeration to denigrate my points and to big yourself up. The two incidents I quoted were in response to a declaration that "the Island isn't what it once was". Suggesting some sort of wonderful but apocryphal community spirit I suppose.

Edited by AOR
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

What's an SIO? (serious incident officer?).

Senior investigating officer.

You should watch more TV.  (If you'd watched Line of duty you'd have known CI, OCG, WTF, and ZYX as well, but you'd have been bloody disappointed at the revelation as to the identity of "H"... )

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, AOR said:

Your attitude is defensive, and you're using ridiculous exaggeration to denigrate my points and to big yourself up. The two incidents I quoted were in response to a declaration that "the Island isn't what it once was". Suggesting some sort of wonderful but apocryphal community spirit I suppose.

I'd have to say that when I read the two posts to the effect that the Island isn't what it once was, my immediate thought was of the hit and run you mentioned from 40 (is it really that long?) years ago.  It beggars belief that on a place as small as the IoM, where everybody knows everybody else's business, that nobody was ever prosecuted.  It was - and still is - a disgrace.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1