Fatal Hit & Run

Amadeus

16 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

They should have guessed as any investigation done by Mark Newey seems to be clumsy and cack-handed. 

Not in my experience. Good SIO.

3 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

Interesting how, now the police think it's a pensioner who killed her, that the charge gets downgraded from death by dangerous driving.

The AG' would have agreed the charge against the necessary tests

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

Is it that he is a pensioner or because there isn't sufficient evidence to support the higher charge?

What intrigues me more is that he hasn't been named, (not sure of the rules, but I thought a name is released on charging).  I suppose he will when he make his first court appearance. 

In line with APP MEDIA and agreed force policy.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:
4 hours ago, Gladys said:

What intrigues me more is that he hasn't been named, (not sure of the rules, but I thought a name is released on charging).  I suppose he will when he make his first court appearance. 

In line with APP MEDIA and agreed force policy.

The UK authorised professional practice (APP) states:

"Those charged with an offence should be named unless there is an exceptional and legitimate policing purpose for not doing so or reporting restrictions apply."

Maybe the IoM is different.

9 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

"Those charged with an offence should be named unless there is an exceptional and legitimate policing purpose for not doing so or reporting restrictions apply."

Is that before, or after appearance in court?

24 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

If the local policy (which derives from APP) is the same as when I left- which I suspect it is the policy was not to name before charge, but also not to name at point of charge, predicated on the fact it was for the media to determine the seriousness of the matter, whether to attend court and then report on it. The SIO could work across this if they could show a legitimate reason.

The problem with the police naming after charge in a slow news jurisdiction is that everything then ends up being reported, which doesn't assist in trying to highlight impact of the more severe stuff.

Similar arguments over the release of photos after conviction. Unless you are seeking to appeal for further victims it is actually difficult to justify the provision of one from police files, especially if the offender is going away for 10 years and as a result is no longer a threat to public safety.

As always, there are exceptions 

A taxi driver using the lane as a short cut was always a strong possibility, that’s his career over and could well be spending time inside, that said with being a professional driver is always a huge amount of responsibility, I don’t think enough people think of the ‘what if’ scenarios, that is any professional drivers worst nightmare.

Edited by Annoymouse
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

A taxi driver using the lane as a short cut was always a strong possibility, that’s his career over and could well be spending time inside, that said with being a professional driver is always a huge amount of responsibility, I don’t think enough people think of the ‘what if’ scenarios, that is any professional drivers worst nightmare.

what if I don't report an accident?