Cheap Food

hissingsid

14 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

Food has got cheaper and cheaper as time passes.

Do you remember what chicken cost in the 80s?

No neither can I but I do remember that a mid range washing machine was about £350.00 and a similar one will be about the same now, which I find staggering! (Chicken and food generally similar)

We have lived with "cheap" food and goods for 30 + years now. 

Maybe Covid and a WW3 will make things cost what they actually cost?

For younger people who think I am talking sh1t, ask your parents/ grandparents. The cost of things like bread, washing machines, cookers etc etc has not gone up with the 30+ years of inflation.

You could say we have never had it so good?

What has actually happened is that things that I mention have not gone up in price much BUT THERE ARE FAR MORE THINGS for people to waste their money on than there were 30+ years ago AND this is why people are short of money.

No Mobiles, no satellite systems. No widescreen  TVs.  No fibre or copper wire Internet, No Sex toys, No Gyms, No Coffee shops, No electric bicycles, No Personal websites, No gaming systems online etc etc .................. Exclude them from being "essential" and people would "think" they were okay.......................

I kind of agree, stuff like washing machines have become almost disposable.  You would pay a lot for one and expect it to last many years. 

Then people say why do we need food banks?  That is not because of the price of food,  but possibly of other priorities.  It may also be due to dreadful employment conditions like zero hours.   Or other combinations of issues. 

It would be interesting if someone from the food bank could describe some of the issues they see their clients are experiencing to really understand. 

6 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I kind of agree, stuff like washing machines have become almost disposable.  You would pay a lot for one and expect it to last many years. 

Then people say why do we need food banks?  That is not because of the price of food,  but possibly of other priorities.  It may also be due to dreadful employment conditions like zero hours.   Or other combinations of issues. 

It would be interesting if someone from the food bank could describe some of the issues they see their clients are experiencing to really understand. 

I was reading about UK food banks the other day and one tale was of a woman who pulled up in her new PCP'd Audi got out her iPhone 13 and facetimed the husband and kids to see what they fancied for tea. These sort of things are apparently becoming commonplace rather than give up the Netflix and fags etc!

Just now, finlo said:

I was reading about UK food banks the other day and one tale was of a woman who pulled up in her new PCP'd Audi got out her iPhone 13 and facetimed the husband and kids to see what they fancied for tea. These sort of things are apparently becoming commonplace rather than give up the Netflix and fags etc!

Well, I would hate to generalise and that kind of extreme example is likely rare.  Is it that too much is bought on credit, which becomes a burden to service, or a lack of knowing how to cook from scratch which is cheaper than prepared food?  I am not saying that the FB is used by people who have brought it on themselves, more that there are some who have not been given the basic skills to organise their lives, and there will be some where there is really no other choice, Covid won't have helped.  We just need to understand why. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Manx17 said:

Maybe now government members feel that food prices are going to go up. They will now introduce where farmers need subsidies have to start producing more  vegetables to sell local at affordable prices and if they don’t want to maybe they should rent plots of land for more allotments, so people can grow their own. Instead of them getting hand outs. 

Most people are too bone idle to grow own vegetables, lots can’t even cut their grass regularly.

I’m sure if you want an allotment you can get one.

I like growing some vegetables & fruit, not to save money but because it’s tastier & a hobby 

1 hour ago, Boris Johnson said:

Food has got cheaper and cheaper as time passes.

Do you remember what chicken cost in the 80s?

No neither can I but I do remember that a mid range washing machine was about £350.00 and a similar one will be about the same now, which I find staggering! (Chicken and food generally similar)

We have lived with "cheap" food and goods for 30 + years now. 

Maybe Covid and a WW3 will make things cost what they actually cost?

For younger people who think I am talking sh1t, ask your parents/ grandparents. The cost of things like bread, washing machines, cookers etc etc has not gone up with the 30+ years of inflation.

You could say we have never had it so good?

What has actually happened is that things that I mention have not gone up in price much BUT THERE ARE FAR MORE THINGS for people to waste their money on than there were 30+ years ago AND this is why people are short of money.

No Mobiles, no satellite systems. No widescreen  TVs.  No fibre or copper wire Internet, No Sex toys, No Gyms, No Coffee shops, No electric bicycles, No Personal websites, No gaming systems online etc etc .................. Exclude them from being "essential" and people would "think" they were okay.......................

Are sex toys essential? No wonder Ann Summers closed down

19 hours ago, 2112 said:

Are sex toys essential? No wonder Ann Summers closed down

They used to say it was the busiest branch in the UK, then it closed..  Odd.  I used to like going into there and ask questions about the products.  The nice girls had a good sense of humour...  I guess they needed it.  It leaves a massive cultural gap.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

If you live on a new Dandara development you'll be bollocksed. The deeds forbid you to keep chickens and other poultry...

get a goat , claim it is a therapy pet , they eat anything and the ones with udders produce good milk, they smell a bit though.   or grow your own bacon with a pig , not sure about pig milk?   i haven't seen any in tescos.

Edited by WTF
  • Haha 1