Government Menopausal Policy

As reported by the NPM, the Cabinet Office Minister Kate Lord Brennan has said that the Government needs to make staff aware of the menopausal policy. I didn’t know that IOMG had one to be honest. Daffy asked a question, about menopause symptoms in the workplace. A decent employer would if a person is suffering provide help, support and understanding. 

• Like 1

Might be quite nice if KLB actually started to work on some of her election promises. Just saying..like promising to sort out the problem of sewage being pumped into Peel Bay. 6 months in, and her and Tim nice but dim seem to have forgotten about that already. Am I surprised? Of course not.

Edited by Manx Bean
  • Like 5

Daffy says that this area has gone under the radar for public sector staff. Apparently Braddan Commisioners have a menopause policy for their staff. 

Are public sector staff getting preferential treatment as opposed to private sector staff? Also if they are suffering from the menopause, are they getting preferential treatment from Manx Care, as they are a ‘public sector’ employee. Remember getting appointments at some surgeries is hard or taking longer due to lack of doctors, Covid and other issues. 

Menopause in the workplace is increasingly being discussed across all sectors.  This is not peculiar to the Isle of Man public sector.  The CIPD submitted information on this subject to the Women and Equalities Select Committee in October 2021.  https://www.cipd.co.uk/news-views/policy-engagement/consultations/menopause-workplace 

The reason this is being discussed is because it is another thing that only women experience and therefore could leave employers open to claims of sex discrimination if for instance they disciplined employees for being absent with menopause related health issues as this only affects women and not men.

And no, I am not going to get into the transgender debate here.  

I get the male menopause sometimes and have to buy a different car or motorbike.

Oh, sorry, it's not the male menopause it's a midlife crisis. Damn this senility...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I get the male menopause sometimes and have to buy a different car or motorbike.

Oh, sorry, it's not the male menopause it's a midlife crisis. Damn this senility...

I keep coming back to this because I can’t believe that as a serving MHK you’d consider it appropriate to mock affliction’s and illnesses such as the menopause and senility. I am absolutely disgusted.

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

I'm sorry 2Bees, obviously I made the mistake of thinking lighthearted posts were still allowed. Clearly not , there's no room for humour in modern life, especially from a politician. I will express my contrition by walking around with a dour, sulky demeanour for the next 4 years.

Maybe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, 2bees said:

I keep coming back to this because I can’t believe that as a serving MHK you’d consider it appropriate to mock affliction’s and illnesses such as the menopause and senility. I am absolutely disgusted.

To be fair 2bees, menopause is not an affliction or illness, it is a natural stage of life.  It can manifest itself in ways that need understanding and support, certainly.  But it does end, senility doesn't end quite so happily.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

I'm sorry 2Bees, obviously I made the mistake of thinking lighthearted posts were still allowed. Clearly not , there's no room for humour in modern life, especially from a politician. I will express my contrition by walking around with a dour, sulky demeanour for the next 4 years.

Maybe.

That was not light hearted, it was totally Crass.

There is plenty of room for humour in modern life, that was not funny.

As a society we have moved on from Bernard Manning/ Benny Hill type humour, you may need to catch up?

There is a very old saying about not opening your mouth and confirming something, take heed of that?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, 2bees said:

As Gladys said it’s not an affliction it’s nature.

Stu’s comment may be humorous to you or not depending on how you are take these things. But offensive ( in the Bernard Manning/Chubby Brown way) certainly not.

You really need to lighten up.

• Like 4