Government Menopausal Policy

42 minutes ago, 2bees said:

Really? I don’t agree with Gladys’s post and didn’t find Stu’s post funny - must be the menopause or my senility, totally hilarious, yeah!

What don't you agree with?

That menopause is a fact of life for women at a certain age?  

That they should be given support and understanding?

That it comes to an end?

That you can't recover from senility?

Or that it is not an affliction or illness?

Edited by Gladys
To add a vital three letter word.
  • Like 1

Perhaps, controversially, I wonder how much understanding and support is given to females at the other end of their reproductive life.  I found it a much more confusing and troubling time, stuff was happening but you don't have the life experience to understand what was happening or the likely sequence of events. 

That is not to dismiss menopause, but just to underline that it is as much a natural progression as reaching fecund maturity. 

Some people seem to go through these stages easily, some don't and they need support.  But, please, let's not treat either as an affliction or illness, it is just life for which, if it is menopause,  there is medical help if it becomes unbearable. 

• Like 6

@Gladys there is currently a lot of discussion around how businesses approach things such as fertility treatments, menopause,  miscarriages and still births. 

Most organisations I have worked in also had unwritten rules regarding absences due to menstrual problems.  They, like is being discussed for menopause linked absences, were ignored for absences trigger points unless there was a pattern which didn't seem right.  

Comments by men trying to be funny are unhelpful and the reason Stu is attracting more criticism yhan others is the fact that he holds a public office. 

5 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

@Gladys there is currently a lot of discussion around how businesses approach things such as fertility treatments, menopause,  miscarriages and still births. 

Most organisations I have worked in also had unwritten rules regarding absences due to menstrual problems.  They, like is being discussed for menopause linked absences, were ignored for absences trigger points unless there was a pattern which didn't seem right.  

Comments by men trying to be funny are unhelpful and the reason Stu is attracting more criticism yhan others is the fact that he holds a public office. 

Where have I dismissed menopause or even supported any derogatory or 'funny' comments about it? 

My issue is describing a natural phase of life as an affliction or illness.

I know workplaces are trying to implement policies (even unwritten) to take account of the complications that menopause, and other 'ladies' problems can present, and quite right too. 

As a female, I am not ignorant of how your body can work against you.  But to describe menopause or menstrual issues as an illness is just wrong, just as you shouldn't describe pregnancy as an illness.  They are natural parts of life that do need accommodation, understanding and support, particularly in the workplace.  Some also need medical intervention, I absolutely get that.  But, if everyone understood that menopause is a natural phase of life for women, rather than an illness which implies a cure or being able to avoid it, there may be a more positive and supportive attitude. 

• Like 2

@Gladys

The comment around current discussions and practices was in response to yours regarding other areas of female health and wellbeing.

The rest was more a more general comment for some of the people who don't seem to understand why "funny" comments by men are attracting criticism.  I should have been clearer.

16 hours ago, Passing Time said:

It seems that no matter what Stu writes, somebody, somewhere will take offence

And that, with all due respect to those with a different opinion, is the situation where this gent is concerned....in a nutshell.

17 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

It’s a demographic thing. His generation are getting painted out of the picture. 

He and I, I think, are of the same generation but if someone thinks they can paint me out of the picture they will have to answer to She Who Speaks! I know my place.

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

He still has the right to hold an opinion and offer it as others here have done.

What would you say if he had made the same funny/unfunny comment were he a doctor?

In what sort of strange universe are his comments “ unhelpful”. 

Unhelpful to who exactly?  

Certainly not to those who look for any excuse to be offended.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Grammatical

13 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

He still has the right to hold an opinion and offer it as others here have done.

What would you say if he had made the same funny/unfunny comment were he a doctor?

In what sort of strange universe are his comments “ unhelpful”. 

Unhelpful to who exactly?  

Certainly not to those who look for any excuse to be offended.

What does any man know about how a woman feels whilst going through the menopause?  Like periods and childbirth it is something that a man can never experience.  We, as men, should seek to be supportive and understanding and not make it a joke.

Presumably you mean a male Doctor?  If so I would apply the same if not more stringent standards.  Medical treatments and studies tend to be heavily skewed towards male biology anyway so you don't want to open that can of worms.

It is unhelpful as he is a sitting MHK and there is a discussion regarding workplace policies on the menopause.   A helpful statement would have been to clarify his stance on the matter and not make a sad attempt at a joke.

I am not offended just disappointed once again to see misogyny on display in these forums.  

• Thanks 1