Taxpayer/Ratepayer Funded Public Property

Andy Onchan

The state of the airport is a shop window to the, ' I'm not interested in managing, I'm only interested in leading huge budget spending projects ' , mismanagement over many years has driven the place into the ground. There is no glory, it seems, in making sure someone gets a paintbrush out or oils something or maintains something, before it goes beyond maintenance and costs an arm and a leg ! I posted many many years ago about the difference in the personality types needed to 'manage' something and to 'develop' something we have only had developers no managers at all. From other posters I get the impression this is the case across government and the CS.

• Thanks 1

This kind of thing is managed in the private sector with KPI, service levels and other metrics. 

Those things simply don't exist in the Isle of Man public sector. They get their above-average salary each month and as long as the money hits their bank account on the 25th then they're all on easy street. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The endless consultations which are largely if not completely ignored just to provide jobs for non essential civil servants.   MHKs are voted in to make decisions not to ceaselessly have consultations with a fraction of the population which are then referred to when the plan or measure goes tits up.  Consultations are the excuse that is made time and time again for the inadequacies of schemes and dreams that they have not got confidence in so they need public backing, such as it is, to blame when failure strikes.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 4/2/2022 at 1:24 PM, 0bserver said:

This kind of thing is managed in the private sector with KPI, service levels and other metrics. 

Those things simply don't exist in the Isle of Man public sector. They get their above-average salary each month and as long as the money hits their bank account on the 25th then they're all on easy street. 

Except of course a lot at the Airport is being managed by the private sector (including I suspect maintenance) and the results aren't good are they?  The trouble with outsourcing in such a small place is that you end up paying for lots more managers in the civil service and the private companies who then spend their time arguing with each other about KPIs (at best, often they agree just to ignore them mutually for an easy life).  Increasing costs and leaving no money left over for anyone to do the work.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Except of course a lot at the Airport is being managed by the private sector (including I suspect maintenance) and the results aren't good are they?  The trouble with outsourcing in such a small place is that you end up paying for lots more managers in the civil service and the private companies who then spend their time arguing with each other about KPIs (at best, often they agree just to ignore them mutually for an easy life).  Increasing costs and leaving no money left over for anyone to do the work.

I don’t think any maintenance or parking etc is managed by private sector or do you know differently?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Maintenance is DOI Properties at the Airport, not private.

Look at the place, its just a shit hole which gives a big clue.

I will say one thing in DOI's defence, they are short of money to do anything and that is why the place looks like a shit tip both at the airport and elsewhere.

THE PROM IS A PRIME EXAMPLE OF A JOB DONE ON A CHEAP SPECIFICATION FROM DOI, to save money and not a job done properly with a specification/ standard of work that should last a long time..

An old work mate told me that the prom should have been about twice the tendered amount to do properly so £45 plus million  (Which from what I understand a couple of the UK contractors tendered)  and my old mate did that kind of stuff all the time in the UK for a very very large civil engineering company up to about 10 years ago.

The bottom line is the islands whole tax take goes in the main on PS/CS salary's and an ever increasing amount on their pensions.

There is no money left to do things properly. We are a low tax area, unless our income tax went to UK levels and above we have to put up with Shit Health, Shit Airports, Shit roads, Shit mental health services, Shit everything.

This is the way....................

Edited by Boris Johnson
  • Sad 1

Benefit of doubt during the witchhunt. Perhaps the legacy of Covid has played a part because folk weren't allowed to work on stuff, employ contractors, were working on Covid related stuff. And it's taking a time to catch up (with no additional budget). 

Outside that, very much agree little and often is way better than big bang once in every 10 years. Total Productive Maintenance and all that

2 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

Maintenance is DOI Properties at the Airport, not private.

Look at the place, its just a shit hole which gives a big clue.

I will say one thing in DOI's defence, they are short of money to do anything and that is why the place looks like a shit tip both at the airport and elsewhere.

THE PROM IS A PRIME EXAMPLE OF A JOB DONE ON A CHEAP SPECIFICATION FROM DOI, to save money and not a job done properly with a specification/ standard of work that should last a long time..

An old work mate told me that the prom should have been about twice the tendered amount to do properly so £45 plus million  (Which from what I understand a couple of the UK contractors tendered)  and my old mate did that kind of stuff all the time in the UK for a very very large civil engineering company up to about 10 years ago.

The bottom line is the islands whole tax take goes in the main on PS/CS salary's and an ever increasing amount on their pensions.

There is no money left to do things properly. We are a low tax area, unless our income tax went to UK levels and above we have to put up with Shit Health, Shit Airports, Shit roads, Shit mental health services, Shit everything.

This is the way....................

This is the problem with Departments saying 'I need' and Treasury saying 'I will give you'. Especially when it's technical. Treasury seem to have no problem funding non-descript things, but completely different perspective where it's a tangible engineering problem.

The department fails, as it knew it would with what it was given, gets the blame publicly and Treasury just does more of the same (except putting even more checks and balances the behind the scenes). Which is what happened with Liverpool landingstage, the prom, funding for recovery from CoVid. And because the CM is ex-Treasury he thinks they're right. 

• Like 1