Firm closing

finlo

30 minutes ago, Hoops said:

headline news on the BBC today is that the world faces a hunger "catastrophe" with wheat production in Ukraine taking an, at times literal, hit, allied to rising prices for fuel, fertilizer, labour etc etc.

So, is there a real case to nationalise the bakery and continue providing a market for locally grown wheat and thus some food security on the island in these uneasy times? I certainly think so.

Bread, it's great.

thanks phil

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hoops said:

Well, back to the op and I'm sure this has already been covered within the 40-odd pages that I'm not going to wade through, but the headline news on the BBC today is that the world faces a hunger "catastrophe" with wheat production in Ukraine taking an, at times literal, hit, allied to rising prices for fuel, fertilizer, labour etc etc.

So, is there a real case to nationalise the bakery and continue providing a market for locally grown wheat and thus some food security on the island in these uneasy times? I certainly think so.

The case for nationalising Shaktiman is, alas, not so convincing. But are the charities, suppliers of that shop losing revenue partly to ensure brand integrity, and does that not demean brand integrity? But I digress.

Bread, it's great.

Are Manx growers to be forced to sell to Laxey Glen Mills at a special low price, or will they ship to England to achieve world prices?

22 hours ago, Roxanne said:

You’re way out of date fella. 

A friend and I bought two ‘dirty chai’s’ from Cycle 360 yesterday and was charged £8.40 for them.

That’s £4.20 for a double espresso, a shot of chai, about 50mls of hot milk and a pinch of chai sprinkles on top  

(my friend paid - I’m not daft) 

I might be out of date (I don’t think I am) but I’d never pay £4.20 for some wanky coffee. It’s £2.75 to £3.20 roughly in town. The cheapest is a milky coffee in the Caff which I think is   about £2.30. God knows what the price is now in Noa. You’d probably have to sell a kidney at their rip off prices. People are going to be spending an awful lot less as their utility bills start to hit. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I’m not a drinker and not one for going out after the hours of darkness

Not with the Treasury Minister on the prowl anyway... 😂

Seriously though, the belts are going to have to come in a couple of notches and for those who have perhaps never known such times before and are unaccustomed it's going to be difficult. Maybe those of 35 and under who grew up in the economic boom times here? To see the differences in the pubs and social life between then and now is already stark IMHO, my first cut has been pub nights, no way am I paying < £5 a pint for lager (I said that when it hit £1 a pint too).

Bell warned of hard times equal to the 50s and 60s when the VAT cut hit. The decline has been well managed over the last 10 years but recent world circumstances have unfortunately greased the slope somewhat.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

I went last Monday with my godson. I ordered a camomile tea. It came in a coffee cup of hot water with a camomile tea bag on the saucer. Price £2.75. There couldn’t have been more than 100mls boiling water in the cup. No fancy tea pot - just a do it yourself cup of water and a tea bag.

I buy my camomile loose, organic and online. It costs me £10 for six months of every day use.

To some £2.75 is nothing but I think as time rolls on, more and more are going to start to give it serious consideration. 

ETA - my godson paid. :)

You got short arms with deep pockets But that's none of my business, I'm  over here just enjoying this tea - Kermit The Frog Drinking Tea | Meme  Generator

3 hours ago, Roxanne said:

I went last Monday with my godson. I ordered a camomile tea. It came in a coffee cup of hot water with a camomile tea bag on the saucer. Price £2.75. There couldn’t have been more than 100mls boiling water in the cup. No fancy tea pot - just a do it yourself cup of water and a tea bag.

I buy my camomile loose, organic and online. It costs me £10 for six months of every day use.

To some £2.75 is nothing but I think as time rolls on, more and more are going to start to give it serious consideration. 

ETA - my godson paid. :)

Yes but there are the (valid) points re overheads. You don’t have to pay anyone to prepare your drinks at home, pay business rates etc , that sort of thing.

ETA - Do you ever pay for your own drinks or treat your companions? 😄

On 4/20/2022 at 10:48 AM, Roxanne said:

That’s £4.20 for a double espresso, a shot of chai, about 50mls of hot milk and a pinch of chai sprinkles on top  

That is conspicuous consumption. Starbucks etc. also caters for conspicuously consuming people.

That is what the customers want.

12 hours ago, John Wright said:

Are Manx growers to be forced to sell to Laxey Glen Mills at a special low price, or will they ship to England to achieve world prices?

Well, the longer term view would be ensuring the farmers have a market for their produce for the foreseeable future, so you would hope there would be room to negotiate.

But...........Manx farmers would essentially be dealing with the Manx government, I'm sure they would do well enough out of it.

I suppose you could add, that if you won't sell locally, maybe you shouldn't be getting local grants?