Firm closing

finlo

8 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

It would take a special type of client to frequent Fynoderree until 12.30am.

Probably a HNWI.

Assume you're trying to say it's overly expensive? I don't believe it is. 

Their own made drinks are overpriced but still don't believe they're expensive.

Edited by jackwhite

midnight should be enough for anyone , how do you expect people living over the shop or near a pub to get some sleep  its not like the old days, when people had a few drinks and quietly  went off home to sleep it off , its more like an alcohol drug crazed  high when some people think they can fight everyone in their sight screaming and swearing at the top of their voices ,  behaviour has gone to hell !

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

No (and without wanting to steal NB's thunder) I think he's referring to the fact that HNWI have got the money to drink for longer, irrespective of the pricing/cost.

No, no, he got it right the first time 😂 ... I think it's expensive (and I know a good few others who think so too), I was in there a couple of months back and was a little "taken aback" when I got a round of drinks in. Still, all very subjective and if people are willing to pay the prices then fair enough.

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

No, no, he got it right the first time 😂 ... I think it's expensive (and I know a good few others who think so too), I was in there a couple of months back and was a little "taken aback" when I got a round of drinks in. Still, all very subjective and if people are willing to pay the prices then fair enough.

Depends what you're buying and if you know what you're buying.

Paid £12 for a whisky tonight in Douglas. Were they taking the piss? Yes. Did I tell them? Also yes. Was it nice. Yes.

I want to drink better stuff than most of what's available on the Isle of Man. I'm prepared to pay the price because I know what it cost. Other than their own stuff, I don't think they overcharge. If you do I'd suggest, without being a horrible person, you're in the wrong place.

There are plenty of places to pay £4 a pint and £3 for a cheap whisky/gin/vodka. Is Fynoderee that type of place? No. But I'd know that before I set foot in the place.

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

people are willing to pay the prices then fair enough.

If you have had a few already, you'll pay any price? That is where the 'nice place' to drink falls apart, little old Ladies for a Sherry or anyone? Or the Quay side pub 'chappies' wanting another drink????

I'm not sure I would be any different in the Fynoderree  situation but I would accept that I was being hypocritical!

2 hours ago, jackwhite said:

Depends what you're buying and if you know what you're buying.

Paid £12 for a whisky tonight in Douglas. Were they taking the piss? Yes. Did I tell them? Also yes. Was it nice. Yes.

I want to drink better stuff than most of what's available on the Isle of Man. I'm prepared to pay the price because I know what it cost. Other than their own stuff, I don't think they overcharge. If you do I'd suggest, without being a horrible person, you're in the wrong place.

There are plenty of places to pay £4 a pint and £3 for a cheap whisky/gin/vodka. Is Fynoderee that type of place? No. But I'd know that before I set foot in the place.

£4.00 a pint don't even think H+B's charge that for Okells stop giving them ideas

• Haha 2

On 8/3/2022 at 3:05 PM, jackwhite said:

Assume you're trying to say it's overly expensive? I don't believe it is. 

Their own made drinks are overpriced but still don't believe they're expensive.

For a premium product craf spirit their pricing is about right especially when you factor in their raw costs are at least 20% higher than an equivalent UK outfit 

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

For a premium product craf spirit their pricing is about right especially when you factor in their raw costs are at least 20% higher than an equivalent UK outfit 

I take your point but I don't believe it's a 'premium' product. 

The issue they have is that when it comes things like awards, these products are grouped by price. This price point puts them into an 'ultra premium' category. When you taste the things in that category they are up against and the winners (mostly from Scotland and now Ireland) it's got no place alongside them.

Some places seem to be taking the piss with the bread at the 'artisan' end of the market though.

M&S were £2.50 recently for their sourdough. It's gone up to £3. They've released a new one which is £4.00!

Went to Noa today just to see difference and was surprised to see a good quality bread (which tasted excellent he says having just had some) for £2.40. So they're now cheaper than most places for this sort of stuff, when I would have always considered them an expensive option. Ross Bakery stuff is decent but only seen it in the Alpine and it's also £3 for a standard one. 

5 hours ago, jackwhite said:

Some places seem to be taking the piss with the bread at the 'artisan' end of the market though.

M&S were £2.50 recently for their sourdough. It's gone up to £3. They've released a new one which is £4.00!

They will sell you a 'best ever' Chocolate Éclair for £6.... are you surprised?