Firm closing

finlo

I remember hearing about a certain gentleman who used to host film shows for gentlemen who enjoyed adult content.  It was the same scenario described by Gladys it happened in Douglas small groups would be taken from a pub for the viewing for a price.   One night the rented film was put on and instead of the expected film Mickey Mouse appeared on the scene and there was a near riot.   I think it all went downhill after that.   The gentleman in question is long gone but he was a known character at the time. 

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I wouldn’t make a decision on a place  to live though, based on whether or not it had IHT

Well yes, but perhaps you should. If you have a choice between quaint place A and equally quaint place B, and living in one of said quaint places for at least the last three years of your life could mean an extra few £100K+ to your beneficiaries, plus saving a shit load of hassle, then surely the decision is obvious?

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, finlo said:

I'm too invested in the place at the moment but that's the ultimate plan.

And to think I used to champion the island and successfully encouraged quite a number of people to move here in the 90's!

Sadly, decline is not confined to the Isle of Man. I've been here since the early 80s, and when I go back I'm horrified at what I see.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, John Wright said:
11 hours ago, mad_manx said:

Same with tobacco and alcohol. There was a news article on how the current generation drinks / smokes far less than before .

Do they drink less? Or just differently?

They do seem to drink less the latest Health Survey for England is quite clear.  A smaller proportion have had any drink in the last year:

image.thumb.png.591b891f596269a3bc85067b32615c10.png

And they are less likely to drink to excess both for men:

image.thumb.png.8cd4aedc2938e1ff8d65b988357b3b8a.png

and for women:

image.thumb.png.511d3b5a4b3fac432e18bc2c02520326.png

Younger males are more likely to drink over the higher limit, but only to the same extent (7%) that those aged 55-64 do.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Add link

5 minutes ago, woolley said:

Sadly, decline is not confined to the Isle of Man. I've been here since the early 80s, and when I go back I'm horrified at what I see.

Go back to where?

19 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

They do seem to drink less the latest Health Survey for England is quite clear.  A smaller proportion have had any drink in the last year:

image.thumb.png.591b891f596269a3bc85067b32615c10.png

And they are less likely to drink to excess both for men:

image.thumb.png.8cd4aedc2938e1ff8d65b988357b3b8a.png

and for women:

image.thumb.png.511d3b5a4b3fac432e18bc2c02520326.png

Younger males are more likely to drink over the higher limit, but only to the same extent (7%) that those aged 55-64 do.

Yet the actual volume of alcohol sold seems to have increased. Self reporting of drink/drug consumption is notoriously unreliable due to under reporting.

changes in methodology in 2021 make reverse comparison unreliable.

Trends in weekly alcohol consumption

Findings from the 2021 survey are not directly comparable with previous HSEs due to changes in survey methodology and response rates.

Between 2011 and 2019, the proportion of adults who did not drink in the last 12 months was between 17% and 20%. The proportion who usually drank 14 units or less each week was between 56% and 60%. 

There were marked differences between 2021 and 2019 in the proportions of young people aged between 16 and 24 who said that they had not drunk alcohol in the last 12 months. This proportion apparently increased from 28% in 2019 to 38% in 2021.  It is not possible to determine whether these findings represent real behaviour change within this age group. Questions about drinking alcohol were asked in different ways, using self-completion questionnaires in 2019 and a telephone interview in 2021, which may have been perceived as less confidential, and there were also differences in survey response rates.

10 hours ago, John Wright said:

Do they drink less? Or just differently?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-25/gen-z-s-clean-living-means-14-billion-in-lost-sin-tax-for-uk

If you cannot access bloomberg try business insider 

https://www.businessinsider.com/gen-z-smoking-drinking-less-costing-uk-government-17-billion-2023-3

Edited by mad_manx

2 hours ago, NoTailT said:

Not sure if posted but QL closure confirmed now - https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/law-firm-to-close-down-604117

Not sure they had many actual advocates left and sympathies to the rest of the remaining staff.

Hmmmm - @John Wrightare you Ian Duggua and he who cannot be spoken of despite being called Paul Bell looking for new representation ?

1 hour ago, Ativa said:

They all just need to hoover less

6378A1D4-3080-41EF-8A85-E1228118DCF3.jpeg

So how many 8.5p's did the advertorial cost by the time you had an agency draw it up? Even if you used no electricity at all it still costs you 21.2p a day just keep the connection.

The good news is by July it'll save you 34p/kWh x 0.8kW x 50% = 13.6p.

This is what we've come down to? Hoover quicker? FFS bin the idiot who dreamed this up and cut the bills by their salary.

• Like 3