Firm closing

finlo

10 hours ago, toonjamie said:

Not to be into DIY and use decorator's caulk is one thing, but to be such an ignoramus as to try to belittle you for using the word. 

Even after googling I still have no idea what caulk is for. I think the British term is "that gunk builders use that comes in plastic guns like you would use to ice a cake". But I don't feel belittled. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

They operate as separate businesses and have many different products at different prices

They also both have many products which are exactly the same but at different prices. Different target markets.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

Caulk?

Okay then, if you say so.

Top Tip

Google British names for building products before you reply like that again, it makes it look less made up

Funnily enough I'd always call it filler, sealant etc, but I was chatting to an Architect a few weeks ago about some DIY they were doing on their own house and they referred to it as Caulk. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Funnily enough I'd always call it filler, sealant etc, but I was chatting to an Architect a few weeks ago about some DIY they were doing on their own house and they referred to it as Caulk. 

Myself and all the tradesman who have worked with and for me over the years have always used the term caulk with relation to tops of skirting boards and the likes. Silicon is a more flexible option to be used inside or out around windows etc . Just my two pennys worth. Quite different products but are used in the wrong environment often .

• Like 2

It's caulk or caulking. Has been on Isle of Man for 50 years that I know of. Cauking is not filler as in Polyfilla. It will hide a multitude or sins and adds a professional and impressive touch to any decorating job. Very easy to use and cheap, cheap, cheap.

Screwfix is spot on btw. Order online and it's delivered next day (where I am) or pick up usually asap.

Hey @Declan far be it from me to offer lifestyle choices but you need to get off the 'puter and get your hands dirty. Do some serious DIY or get a job during your holidays on a building site. Oh, and get a wee motorbike too - you might mightily surprise yourself..

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Myself and all the tradesman who have worked with and for me over the years have always used the term caulk with relation to tops of skirting boards and the likes. Silicon is a more flexible option to be used inside or out around windows etc . Just my two pennys worth. Quite different products but are used in the wrong environment often .

Yup, top of skirting boards and some parquet flooring gaps was what they were referring to. 

13 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Caulk is/was used in traditional wooden boat building.

That was the first thing I thought when my Architect friend mentioned it.  I thought 'you're planning on using hair and tar?!' 

15 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Caulk is/was used in traditional wooden boat building.

What a caulking great discussion this is. Filling in a no news day I guess. Good that we can be flexible that way. All I know is that tradesmen who use caulk are very good at wetting their finger and using it it tight crevices. So a friend told me. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

It's caulk. Caulking is a form of verb. 

Caulk or, less frequently, caulking[1] is a material used to seal joints or seams against leakage in various structures and piping

From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caulk#:~:text=Caulk or%2C less frequently%2C caulking,in various structures and piping.

33 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

image.jpeg.dcf506aa6d8b6a9d1710c561900692ac.jpeg

No, not at all. Caulking (sometimes called caulk) is magical stuff, with far more personality than paint. It really is the icing on the cake of the decorators tool kit.

(I've had a look at the internet and am sure there is a 'Caulking Weekly' magazine I can refer the forum to but I can't find it just yet).

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Caulk or, less frequently, caulking[1] is a material used to seal joints or seams against leakage in various structures and piping

From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caulk#:~:text=Caulk or%2C less frequently%2C caulking,in various structures and piping.

No, not at all. Caulking (sometimes called caulk) is magical stuff, with far more personality than paint. It really is the icing on the cake of the decorators tool kit.

(I've had a look at the internet and am sure there is a 'Caulking Weekly' magazine I can refer the forum to but I can't find it just yet).

Can't wait to read it!