Firm closing

finlo

57 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Hey @Declan far be it from me to offer lifestyle choices but you need to get off the 'puter and get your hands dirty. Do some serious DIY or get a job during your holidays on a building site. Oh, and get a wee motorbike too - you might mightily surprise yourself..

Why? (Not the motorbike that's a perfectly sensible means of transport just not the most effective for me). Why would I spend the 25 days holiday a year I get on a building site? 

Just now, The Phantom said:

Ohhhhh yeahhhhh 

OMG this is amazing. 

For all my talk, caulking and filling in is one of my most favourite jobs in the whole wide world. My son and I have competitions about who is better. I always win. I favour the finger approach rather than a tool, and for filler, I have a special sponge that, when wet, does a most magnificent job in smoothing off. I was a late starter with the caulk and the big gun thing but I'm a proper convert now. When the weather cools down I'm about to reseal all the lead flashing on the roof (with the use of gun and finger).

I once (badly) plastered a whole wall in my kitchen. My plan was to use an orbital sander on it when it dried, but fate had other plans. 3am and I was woken by the most horrific noise. Came downstairs only to find the whole bloody lot on the floor. The whole lot. I've no idea why it all fell of in one piece. My guess is ineptitude. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

OMG this is amazing. 

For all my talk, caulking and filling in is one of my most favourite jobs in the whole wide world. My son and I have competitions about who is better. I always win. I favour the finger approach rather than a tool, and for filler, I have a special sponge that, when wet, does a most magnificent job in smoothing off. I was a late starter with the caulk and the big gun thing but I'm a proper convert now. When the weather cools down I'm about to reseal all the lead flashing on the roof (with the use of gun and finger).

I once (badly) plastered a whole wall in my kitchen. My plan was to use an orbital sander on it when it dried, but fate had other plans. 3am and I was woken by the most horrific noise. Came downstairs only to find the whole bloody lot on the floor. The whole lot. I've no idea why it all fell of in one piece. My guess is ineptitude. 

All about the wet finger personally.  Although sometimes I then run out of fingers and end up stuck to handfuls of tissue. 

I don't think I have ever used more than a quarter of one of those tube/gun things and then always come back to a hardened nozzle and have to bin it and open a new one.  I wish someone would solve that. 

Did you hydrate the wall before you did the plastering? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Phantom said:

Although sometimes I then run out of fingers and end up stuck to handfuls of tissue. 

This is ME!

1 minute ago, The Phantom said:

Did you hydrate the wall before you did the plastering

This was years ago and I honestly can't remember, but in those days I probably did a better job of hydrating myself before I began, than the wall.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

This is ME!

This was years ago and I honestly can't remember, but in those days I probably did a better job of hydrating myself before I began, than the wall.

Rock out with your caulk out!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I don't think I have ever used more than a quarter of one of those tube/gun things and then always come back to a hardened nozzle and have to bin it and open a new one.  I wish someone would solve that.

You have to take the nozzle off and push the last of it out and use it and then give it a good clean. It's a faff.

My version is that I start at the top of the nozzle and every new job I cut off the hard end until I work my way down the nozzle. By the time I get to the bottom I take it off and squeeze it through the tube itself. 

I can't see me getting a building job anytime soon. :)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

You have to take the nozzle off and push the last of it out and use it and then give it a good clean. It's a faff.

My version is that I start at the top of the nozzle and every new job I cut off the hard end until I work my way down the nozzle. By the time I get to the bottom I take it off and squeeze it through the tube itself. 

I can't see me getting a building job anytime soon. :)

I put a nail in the open nozzle to plug it.  Some do have a red cap to use, but not sure how good they are. 

Hey @Blade Runner, look what you started! 😂

I have a pretty fool proof way of making sure I don’t get terminology mixed up.  I normally just go off what it says on the website, tube and order confirmation.

If you could junior us, I would love to know why you thought my error was and what world you live in where caulk is purely an American thing?

It would be a caulking way to top of the day if you could get back to me.

43 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Indeed. The material is oakum which as I recall is from hemp??

As far as I'm concerned anything other than the above is a sealant.

36 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

All about the wet finger personally.  Although sometimes I then run out of fingers and end up stuck to handfuls of tissue. 

Did you hydrate the wall before you did the plastering? 

NO.

No, no, no. no, no.

You are both thinking about sealant. Sealant is sealant in all its many, many forms.

Caulk is caulk is caulk. (or caulking). It is a whole new experience than sealant.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Asthehills said:

Hey @Blade Runner, look what you started! 😂

To be honest a convoluted discussion on caulk is right at my level. 

Maybe we could start a thread on the Zen of Jetwashing?  Now there is a cathartic DIY task.  I sometimes lay awake at night dreaming of being a professional jetwasher, they must be so satisfied with life.

• Haha 3