Firm closing

finlo

7 hours ago, Lilly said:

I'm not sure l would eat mass-produced dog food; it looks and smells yucky! 😕 

Back in the 60's H&G made a fresh dog food. "Supremo" by name, I recall there was a fad in Douglas pubs for eating a tub at the bar for a dare/wager.😋

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, mollag said:

A wise caterer[Don Slee] once told me that "Hamburger" is actuall "Hamburg Steak" a skit on the poor folk of Hamburg, likewise a "Vienna Steak" made with fillet steak, was about the wealthy Viennese who could use the finest cuts as mince. A bit like Glasgow caviar--mince and taties.

I thought a Vienna Steak was horse.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lilly said:

He likes to shock, doesn't he or she? I rather took exception to the comments. My dog is usually fed  a diet of roast chicken, rice, french beans, carrots and cauliflower and many other vegetables cooked daily  his dinner. He has a high-vitamin dog based biscuit for breakfast, followed by a thinly sliced banana for lunch. He is exercised three times daily, walking 4 to 5 miles each time. He has a weekly dose gut bacteria for dogs, weekly cod liver oil.  I think l'm a fairly good dog owner. 

You sound like one

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Roxanne said:

Similarly, here’s the other place in Ramsey earlier today with the name that no-one can remember. BF26B9BC-39AA-4569-B6ED-4F63983A77C7.thumb.jpeg.f4b6bd10b079e1ea397476146f910343.jpeg

Bank Holiday Monday and with at least 300 people just 200 metres away waiting for the races to start and, it’s shut. 

Here’s the thing. If you want to shut on one of the busiest Mondays of the year then fine, but don’t whine on media outlets about not getting custom. 

Ha ha ha. A while ago you said you were talking to Ramsey Commissioners about a new business, you've talked about your chocolatier skills, I had put 2 and 2 together...........🙄

Anyway, I reckon this could be about professional jealousy. I suppose the only way I'd know for sure is if you were to send me a box of your truffles, which I could then compare with truffleywuffleys, or whatever it's called. I think if you pair your truffles with a red full of tannins, you might find it goes well for you........

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Hoops said:

Ha ha ha. A while ago you said you were talking to Ramsey Commissioners about a new business, you've talked about your chocolatier skills, I had put 2 and 2 together...........🙄

Anyway, I reckon this could be about professional jealousy. I suppose the only way I'd know for sure is if you were to send me a box of your truffles, which I could then compare with truffleywuffleys, or whatever it's called. I think if you pair your truffles with a red full of tannins, you might find it goes well for you........

Professional jealousy? Lolz. No. I only do chocolate for friends now and even then very occasionally. And, in the extremely unlikely event that I should open a chocolate shop then it wouldn't be there and it would also be open. 😃 Nice try tho...

8 hours ago, Lilly said:

He likes to shock, doesn't he or she? I rather took exception to the comments. My dog is usually fed  a diet of roast chicken, rice, french beans, carrots and cauliflower and many other vegetables cooked daily  his dinner. He has a high-vitamin dog based biscuit for breakfast, followed by a thinly sliced banana for lunch. He is exercised three times daily, walking 4 to 5 miles each time. He has a weekly dose gut bacteria for dogs, weekly cod liver oil.  I think l'm a fairly good dog owner. 

Don't let the nasty posters get to you Lily. It's not personal, even if it feels like it. Just keep being you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Kopek said:

Isn't burger a contraction of Hamburger relating to a German 'beef patty'? Americans have further used it to describe minced beef in any form? It's convenient for us to refer to the shape as being any content but the French win out with their term 'patie', probably many years older than the German use?

Not sure where you're getting your info, but Americans don't describe minced beef in any form hamburger - they call beef patties hamburgers and minced beef is called ground beef.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mad_manx said:

Common problem here ..   I know that things happen at the last minute and sometimes closures cannot be avoided..

But they should at least post this on their social media.

The successful ones always do this..

Oh yeah, completely agree that sometimes it can't be avoided especially when your staffing the business yourself. That's why I gave it a second chance, just annoyed me that both times nothing was put on their socials to say. Second time it was absolutely chucking it down and I got pissed wet through walking there so that pushed me over the edge 😀

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

I don't personally eat some of the things pretending to be meat. A non-meat burger that bleeds, what the fuck is that even made of? Something weird developed in a lab.

Mrs Phantom is a veggie (actually a pescatarian) so eats fish, but nothing cute (with eyelashes) so I get to sample some her products and concoctions.  Most of them are quite tolerable and would be great with bacon on and this is exactly what I do on the occasions I have one of her veggi meals.

However, I do wonder about meat substitutes, not old school honest Tofu however, but the stuff that is made to feel and taste like meat.  It is just so fake, manipulated and processed, that I fail to see how it can possibly be more healthy for you or with lower environmental impact than a slice something that could have been in a field down the road a few days ago.  It’s virtue signalling again, but on the plus side it makes some labs and researchers a lot of money!

As for the moral aspect, personally I think if you want to eat meat, you need to have at some point hunted, killed, prepared and eaten an animal, as a right of passage/atonement/sign of respect.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Mrs Phantom is a veggie (actually a pescatarian) so eats fish, but nothing cute (with eyelashes) so I get to sample some her products and concoctions.  Most of them are quite tolerable and would be great with bacon on and this is exactly what I do on the occasions I have one of her veggi meals.

However, I do wonder about meat substitutes, not old school honest Tofu however, but the stuff that is made to feel and taste like meat.  It is just so fake, manipulated and processed, that I fail to see how it can possibly be more healthy for you or with lower environmental impact than a slice something that could have been in a field down the road a few days ago.  It’s virtue signalling again, but on the plus side it makes some labs and researchers a lot of money!

As for the moral aspect, personally I think if you want to eat meat, you need to have at some point hunted, killed, prepared and eaten an animal, as a right of passage/atonement/sign of respect.  

I have done the above, I'm not sure It's for everyone.  Likewise fair play to a vegetarian, whatever their reasoning, It's just the "Apeing" of traditional meat products I find weird. 🤪

• Thanks 1

I make my own curries and my favourite is veg. But, I like chunky veg so that I've got something to bite into. Can't be doing with the soft shite you get from some takeaways. The great thing with veggie curry is that you can use any curry mix you like. I sometimes put chopped salted peanuts and sultanas in it for a change. Cook it all on day one, leave to steep/marinade for a couple of days in the fridge and then tuck in.

• Like 2