Firm closing

finlo

@Expat. @Cueey Lewis And The News

I was in Leeds last evening. Beggar/s at both entrances of the train station, although they were passive enough. On the way back in I was approached by a bloke with a paper cup who asked for 30p for a cup of tea (original but effective, although 30p hasn't bought a cup of tea since I was a student). A walk up through The Trinity Centre a couple more. I thought about Manx Forums. Should I take a few photos or would that be uncalled for? Actually I think it is called for. Maybe I'll give them £1 if they let me take their photo, then everyone will be happy. The evneing would cost me an extra £10 maybe but it would at least show that the folk do actually exist.

Huddersfield, just look 0-50 metres radius of MacDonalds doorway will show you some more beggars, including occasionally a legless woman in a wheelchair and a black woman with a dog (both not the usual demographic for beggars).

Yes, yes and yes again, you can walk these places and see none at all. But I travel these routes often and 9 times out of 10 a beggar/s are there.

Incidentally, I find Leeds and Huddersfield both wonderful places and will be sad when our contract ends.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Incidentally, I find Leeds and Huddersfield both wonderful places and will be sad when our contract ends.

I was surprised how nice Huddersfield was when I visited. Always looked the grimmest of towns from the trains. Lots of good record stalls on the market and Bilge Pump were playing an instore in the record shop. 

• Like 1

6) The weird 'sculpture' hidden behind the Civic Centre stairs

JS154333597.jpg
Jake's folly progress pictures of his renovation in an attempt to keep the structure standing. Jake Mangel-Wurzel armed with a sealant gun at work renovating his 2004 folly.

Hidden behind a large flight of concrete stairs, next to Kirklees Magistrates Court is a bizarre sculpture.

'Joker Jake's Civic Folly' was erected by Huddersfield self-styled 'King of the Eccentrics' Jake Mangle-Wurzel in 2004. The three-metre folly replaces a seven-metre sculpture which Mangle-Wurzel – born John Gray – built without planning permission on the site.

Kirklees Council threatened to demolish the folly, which had fallen into disrepair, in 2018. But the council relented after Mangle-Wurzel, also known as T.H.E. Occupier, repaired it.

• Like 2

I just spotted the old Bottle Monkey store appears to be being converted into a new bar. 

Builders have been doing some work in there for a couple of weeks and there is now a poster on the window for 'Adventurer's Tavern' and a funky squid or kraken logo. 

@jackwhite any info?  Or have you lot caused him to have a breakdown?

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

6) The weird 'sculpture' hidden behind the Civic Centre stairs

JS154333597.jpg

Jake's folly progress pictures of his renovation in an attempt to keep the structure standing. Jake Mangel-Wurzel armed with a sealant gun at work renovating his 2004 folly.

Hidden behind a large flight of concrete stairs, next to Kirklees Magistrates Court is a bizarre sculpture.

'Joker Jake's Civic Folly' was erected by Huddersfield self-styled 'King of the Eccentrics' Jake Mangle-Wurzel in 2004. The three-metre folly replaces a seven-metre sculpture which Mangle-Wurzel – born John Gray – built without planning permission on the site.

Kirklees Council threatened to demolish the folly, which had fallen into disrepair, in 2018. But the council relented after Mangle-Wurzel, also known as T.H.E. Occupier, repaired it.

He was total nob. Dead now. 

30 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I just spotted the old Bottle Monkey store appears to be being converted into a new bar. 

Builders have been doing some work in there for a couple of weeks and there is now a poster on the window for 'Adventurer's Tavern' and a funky squid or kraken logo. 

@jackwhite any info?  Or have you lot caused him to have a breakdown?

May be it's not a 'Tavern' in the drinking sense. It might be this: https://www.theadventurerstavern.co.uk/

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

May be it's not a 'Tavern' in the drinking sense. It might be this: https://www.theadventurerstavern.co.uk/

It's says the "Isle of Man's only supplier of Magic: The Gathering, Pokemon, RPGs, trading card accessories, and organised tournament play" so must be it. 

Nerds.  That's disappointing. 

Although Warcraft and similar is getting popular again.  I suppose it's good they'll have a place to hang out and not get bullied by the cool kids 😁  Well, at least until they become Tech Dictators and we all end up working for them. 

4 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

It's says the "Isle of Man's only supplier of Magic: The Gathering, Pokemon, RPGs, trading card accessories, and organised tournament play" so must be it. 

Nerds.  That's disappointing. 

Although Warcraft and similar is getting popular again.  I suppose it's good they'll have a place to hang out and not get bullied by the cool kids 😁  Well, at least until they become Tech Dictators and we all end up working for them. 

That's all very well but does it have a Death Star Canteen? 

• Haha 2